The Writing Center's Mission and Goals
Our primary mission is to help MSU Denver students become stronger, more confident writers by developing healthy writing processes, metacognitive awareness, and a broad repertoire of writing strategies. Additionally, we work with MSU Denver faculty, alumni, and community members who want to become stronger writers.
- Welcome all MSU Denver writers at any stage in their writing process, in any discipline, composing in any genre;
- Promote writing as a thinking tool;
- Build students’ understanding of how they learn best;
- Help writers develop transferable writing skills, including drafting, revising, editing, content development, and source use, through metacognitive reflection;
- Help students understand and negotiate expectations for academic, professional, and disciplinary writing;
- Foster understanding and acceptance of diverse identities, viewpoints, and linguistic backgrounds;
- Support instructors in developing writing assignments that are informed by current writing theory and research;
- Encourage, support, sponsor, and participate in writing research;
- Practice methods and strategies informed by current theory and research; and
- Mentor undergraduate writing advisers and interns.
Students who visit the Writing Center will
- Demonstrate that they understand that writing is a process.
- Use invention strategies as part of their writing process.
- Recognize that every piece of writing has a purpose and an audience.
- Make appropriate rhetorical choices about thesis, development, organization, and style by considering the purpose and audience of a piece of writing.
- Demonstrate a growth mindset toward writing.
- Use writing as a thinking tool as well as a communication tool.
- Be able to use multiple revision strategies at various points in their writing process.
- Use resources appropriately.