*It is highly recommended you double check the general studies requirement for your major. Many of our programs have required courses in general studies.
All students following the catalog year Fall 2012 and later are required to complete the Written Communication (ENG 1010 or 1009); Quantitative Literacy, and Oral Communication requirements in the first 30-college level credits and ENG 1020 by 45-credit hours. Students who do not meet these requirements will begin to have registration holds applied to their accounts, which can be removed after students review the policy. If you have questions regarding these holds or policies, please stop by our office.
Know your catalog year
For Students following the 2012 or later degree catalog, below are the approved general studies categories:
- Written Composition (6-credits)- ENG 1010 or equivalent must be completed within the first 30-college level credits at MSU Denver & ENG 1020 or equivalent completed within the first 45-college level credits at MSU Denver.
- Quantitative Literacy (3-credits minimum)-must be completed within the first 30-college level credits at MSU Denver
- Oral Communication (3-credits)-must be completed within the first 30-college level credits at MSU Denver
- Historical (3-credits)
- Arts and Humanities (6-credits)
- Social and Behavioral Sciences I (3-credits)
- Social and Behavioral Sciences II (3-credits)
- Natural and Physical Sciences (6-credits minimum)
- Global Diversity (0-3 credits)-can be satisfied by taking courses within other general studies categories.
Approved Courses in each category can be found by clicking here
Additional Graduation requirements for 2012 degree catalog or later: Includes Multicultural and Senior Experience
For students following the 2011 degree catalog and earlier, below are the approved general studies categories and courses:
General Studies Level I: must be met within first 30-credit hours except ENG 1020 (60-credits)
English Composition (ENG 1010 & 1020), Mathematics, and Communications.
Historical, Arts and Letters, Social Sciences, and Natural Sciences.
Additional Graduation requirements for 2011 degree catalog and earlier: Includes Multicultural and Senior Experience