Lyris List Essentials
Lyris List Manager is a Internet application designed to deliver email quickly and efficiently to large numbers of recipients. List Manager is the email list management software that MSU Denver uses to facilitate efficient communications. List Administrators (owners) can easily distribute messages and send out announcements to the University community as well as communicate with specific segments of the community. List Manager also provides various tools for customizing the way your list behaves.
You can access Lyris List Manager at https:/list-L.msudenver.edu. For information about how to use Lyris List Manager, please see the manuals provided in the section below.
For a list of the recipients included in each Lyris email list, please see the Description of All Lyris Email Lists.
If you lose, forget, or otherwise want to change the password you use to manage a Lyris-based Lyris List, it's easy to do, but it requires some back and forth communication with SERVICE CENTER's Lyris List servers and has time limits for security reasons, so don't start the process unless you'll have access to the web and your email for the next half hour.
Please see our Security Tips webpage on how to create a strong password.
- Navigate to https://list-l.msudenver.edu/emailpassword.tml. A web page with a Lyris header will open.
- Type in your email address (the one you always use with Lyris) and click Submit.
- You will receive an email from Lyris ListManager containing a clickable (or cut-and-pasteable) link. This link is unique to your request and will expire after one hour. If you miss the deadline, don't worry; just start over at step one.
- When you click on the link in the email message, another web page will open, asking you to type in your new password twice, and reminding you that the password you enter will replace your password on ALL MSU Denver Lyris Lists you administer. Type in your new password twice and click Reset Password.
To contact a list administrator, send an email to "email@example.com", where "listname" is the name of the list.
To join a list, send an email to "firstname.lastname@example.org", where "listname" is the name of the list you want to join. Leave the subject line and body of the email blank.
You may receive a confirmation request shortly after sending this email. Follow the instructions in the request (which involves replying to the message or clicking on a web link). The confirmation process helps ensure that only people who want to join a list receive the list's messages.
Please note it may take some time for you to join the list, as lists can be configured in a number of ways:
- Open membership: Anyone can join the list by following the above steps.
- Private membership: The list administrator must approve the request before you will be added to the list.
- Closed membership: Only list administrators can add new members; the email method above will only notify the list's administrator that you tried to join. In this circumstance, you should contact the list administrator to discuss whether you can join the list.
Send an email message to "email@example.com", where "listname" is the name of the list you want to leave or unsubscribe from. Leave the subject line and body of the email blank.
Please note that leaving all- category lists (e.g. all-students, all-faculty, all-employees, etc.) will not work, as they are regularly recreated from the University's Banner database.
- Log in to your email account and begin a new message.
- Type "firstname.lastname@example.org" into the To field, where "list-name" is the name of the list you want to use.
- Add the desired subject and the body of the email.
Please note that you should not...
- Send your email formatted with HTML.
- Attach any executable (.exe) or picture files.
- Forward emails from one list to another.
Doing any of this will increase the size of your email, which may result in a delivery failure, or in the message content being cut off. Note that list administrators can test emails to make sure they appear correctly before they are sent out.
When you send an email through Lyris List, it will a send a copy of that email to your email address by default. You can turn off this feature by following these steps:
- Log in to the Lyris administrator web interface.
- On the left, click Members.
- Click View Members.
- Click the address of the member you want to work with—in this case, your email address.
- Select No in the "Receive copy of Own Postings" section.