HRSA BHWET General Integrative Care Stipend Program
For Academic Year 2019-2020
Due: 5:00 PM on Friday, March 22nd, 2019
MSU Denver Department of Social Work and CSU School of Social Work are pleased to announce that we have received a New HSRA Behavioral Health Workforce Education and Training for Professionals Project (BHWET) grant. The grant is funded through the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA). The full grant award is for four years in the amount of $1.92 million with $479,999 awarded for each academic year. MSU Denver is excited to have continued participation with this project that positions MSW practitioners to be on the cutting edge of current practice trends as health care and behavioral health care become more integrated under the Affordable Care Act.
The nature of the grant is to:
- Provide $10,000 field placement stipends to concentration year or advanced standing MSW students who are placed at agencies serving populations across the lifespan, including in rural and medically underserved areas.
- Provide students with specialized behavioral health training in how to work with populations across the lifespan, including in rural and medically underserved areas.
- Position stipend recipients to succeed in addressing the behavioral health needs of this vulnerable population with particular attention to addressing the needs of multi-cultural and multi-lingual clients and communities.
- Build a network of professionals and agencies which collaborate in providing interdisciplinary services to vulnerable, at risk, medically underserved, or rural populations and their families with particular attention to work within interprofessional teams and contexts with specific training in and with integrated primary care agencies.
To that end we encourage you to review the application documents to consider if your field placement and career interests are appropriate for you to apply for one of the stipends. Carefully review the application as there are conditions to the award.
WHO CAN APPLY?
Students who meet the following requirements are eligible to apply for the HRSA BHWET Stipend Program for the 2019-2020 academic year:
- Current MSW Program students or MSW Advanced Standing Program applicants who will enter their Concentration/Final Year and Placement of the MSW Program in the 2019-2020 academic year and are in good academic standing.
- Students completing their final field placement in a HRSA-eligible agency, which must include:
- A focus on clinical work and/or direct services with populations across the lifespan, located in rural and/or medically underserved areas; AND,
- Interprofessional learning experiences (learning experiences among a group of two or more professions/disciplines).
While not required, preference will be given to applicants whose field placement includes any of the following:
- Integrated medical and/or primary care and behavioral health setting;
- A problem solving court;
- Serves multilingual and multicultural populations;
- Offers prevention, intervention and/or treatment for populations at-risk for engaging in harmful behaviors, including violence;
- Includes interventions involving families.
Students may or may not have secured a field placement at the time of the stipend interview. If students are awarded a stipend, they must accept a field placement at a qualifying agency and complete the Agency Verification form prior to receiving stipend funds. Please review the application materials so that you are able to discuss learning activities with your potential field placements.
Applicants who are offered and accept a seat in the HRSA General Stipend Program must:
- Successfully complete all required MSW coursework
- Successfully complete the required field placement at a HRSA-eligible agency
- Attend and participate in the HRSA GeneralIntegrative Care Program's monthly, interprofessional training seminar program
- Seminars may be "hybrid", which includes both on-campus and online components. The monthly seminars are NOT for course credit and are REQUIRED.
- Agree to fulfill the post-graduation employment commitment with the following guidelines:
- Employment in Colorado at a HRSA-eligible agency
- For 12-months (one year) at full-time (or two positions at part-time)
- Serving populations across the lifespan, in rural and/or medically underserved areas
- **MSU Denver students must enroll in a HRSA-designated field course**
Complete and submit the HRSA General Program Application by 5:00 PM on Friday, March 22nd, 2019.
Only TYPED completed applications will be accepted. Application packets must include the following:
- Download and complete the Application Form (Application Form - HRSA General Integrative Care Stipend 2019-2020)
- 1-2 page Resume - UPDATED and including educational and work/volunteer experience
- Typed Cover Letter (1.5 pages max) - a brief statement explaining your interest in the stipend program; a summary of experiences and strengths you bring to the behavioral health field, specifically in working with vulnerable populations across lifespan, located in rural and/or medically underserved areas; and a brief statement of anything else you would like the HRSA Committee to consider.
- Two Recommendations - one of which MUST be from a faculty member in your current graduate MSW Program. Use the recommendation forms provided. (Letter of Recommendation - HRSA General Integrative Care Stipend 2019-2020)
- Advanced Standing applicants - if you are applying to start the MSW Program full time in summer 2019 and will be entering your field placement in fall 2019, you are eligible to apply and your recommendation letters will come from your BSW faculty
- Agency Verification Form - HRSA-eligibility checklist to be completed by your field placement agency after your field placement has been confirmed. Please use the form provided. (Agency Verification Form - HRSA General Integrative Care Stipend 2019-2020)
- Applicants who have not confirmed their field placement by the application due date may submit their application packet without this form. BUT, it must be completed by your confirmed placement prior to the receipt of stipend funds. It is the student's responsibility to ensure the Agency Verification Form is submitted.
Please make sure to complete ALL sections listed in the Application Instructions, and submit all materials together by 5:00 PM on Friday, March 22nd, 2019, to:
Metropolitan State University of Denver
ATTN: HRSA General Stipend
Dr. Dawn Matera Bassett, LCSW
PO Box 173362, Campus Box 70
Denver, CO 80217-3362
or you may drop it off to Dr. Matera Bassett in the Department of Social Work at CN 201U.
If you have further questions or need to submit electronic documents, please contact Guadalupe Vargas, HRSA Stipend Coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
HRSA Scholar Selection Process:
- Only complete application packets will be reviewed by the HRSA Scholar Selection Committee. If necessary, applicants may be contacted for a pre-interview, either in-person or by phone.
- All applicants will be notified of their application status via email.
- Only selected candidates will be invited to complete an on-campus interview with the HRSA Scholar Selection Committee.
- Interviews are scheduled for the week of April 22 – April 26, 2019.
- Interviews will last approximately 30-45 minutes per candidate. If selected to advance to the interview phase, you will be contacted, via email, by the MSU Denver Social Work Grant Services Office to schedule your interview.
Forms are best viewed and completed in Adobe PDF Viewer.
Completing forms in an internet browser may result in form error or loss of entered data.