Skip to main content Skip to main content

School Social Work License Overview

MSU Denver's MSW Program curriculum has been approved by the Colorado Department of Education (CDE) to offer curriculum towards the special services license endorsed in school social work. There are special and additional requirements that must be met during and beyond the MSW degree. Please use this resource as a guide. For questions or more information, please visit the CDE website.

CDE requirements for school licensure include:

Requirement 1


  • Master's degree or higher in social work from a regionally-accredited institution

This requirement is fulfilled by:

  • Successfully completing an MSW degree at MSU Denver in the Individuals and Families Concentration
Requirement 2


  • Documented evidence of completion of coursework in the area of school social work and special education law.

This requirement is fulfilled by:

  • Child Welfare Track & Children/Youth/Families Track: no other requirements necessary
  • Older Adults Track & Adults Track: must complete the School and Special Education Law webinar offered by MSU Denver. Further information below.
  • Students in the Macro Concentration will need to take additional coursework outside of the MSW Program at MSU Denver to fulfill the approved coursework requirement in the area of school and special education law.
Requirement 3


  • Documented evidence of completion of coursework to include content covering Functional Behavior Assessment (FBA) and the development of behavior intervention plans.

This requirement is fulfilled by:

  • This is a new requirement from CDE. Beginning in Fall 2017 this content will be in SWKM 6520 - Evidence-Based Practice.
  • If you took this course prior to Fall 2017, you may complete required coursework in this area outside of MSU Denver, either through CDE or at an accredited institution. Once you have completed the outside coursework, obtain a memo from the program director, an official certificate of completion, or an official transcript that reflects the completed coursework with your licensure paperwork.


Requirement 4


  • Successful completion of Colorado-approved licensing content exam.

This requirement is fulfilled by:

  • Colorado Assessment for Licensed Clinical Social Workers (ASWB Clinical Exam)
  • The ASWB Clinical Exam is the comprehensive exam students need in order to also obtain their LCSW. The jurisprudence test must also be completed prior to taking the ASWB Exam. It is important to research the available dates for each test and make sure they align with both your ability to study for the test and the timeframes for hiring with each school district.
  • The PLACE 47 Exam was another approved option that has been phased out by CDE. Successful completion of this exam (minimum score of 220) will be valid until May 6, 2022 to keep your license up to date.
Requirement 5


  • Successful completion of a supervised 900 clock-hour practicum in the field of social work which shall have been completed in a school, social service agency, mental health clinic or facility, and/or hospital setting.

This requirement is fulfilled by:

  • MSU Denver MSW Program students have the opportunity to fulfill this requirement during their field placement through the Office of Field Education
Requirement 6


  • Successful completion of at least one field experience with school age children/students.

This requirement is fulfilled by:

  • MSU Denver MSW Program students have the opportunity to fulfill this requirement during their field placement through the Office of Field Education.

TEE (temporary educator eligibility authorization) Application

If you have a job lined up or are presently employed in a Colorado public school district or charter school as a school social worker yet still need to meet these coursework requirements as outlined above, or if you need to take and pass a Colorado State Boad of Education-approved school social work exam (either PLACE 47 or the ASWB), you will need to complete and submit a TEE (temporary educator eligibility authorization) Application. Upon approval, this authorization will allow you to serve as a school social worker while you pursue the coursework or pass the content exam. Your employing school district and the college/university through which you are completing the coursework will need to sign the TEE authorization form, which you will include in the application along with copies of your bachelor's and master's degree transcripts. (If you need only the content exam, you may leave section B of the form blank and upload a copy of your exam registration instead.)

CDE Application and Form Verification Process

To start the application process, visit the Colorado Department of Education (CDE) at

Students who are applying for school social work licensure and are needing to obtain signatures on official forms for the licensure process should submit forms to the Associate Director Office of Social Work Student Services, Bailee Bannon Murray, at

School Social Work Jobs

The Colorado School Mental Health Advisory Council has created a School Psychology and School Social Work Available Positions Matrix to help potential candidates locate available jobs in the state. The matrix includes available positions for school psychologists and school social workers in Colorado with additional details regarding the positions (location, number, contact person, application instructions, etc.). Because the matrix is voluntary, it might not encompass all the available positions in the state, but it will update automatically as districts/AU/facilities post their available positions.

Special Education Law Webinar & Assessment

MSW students who are in the Individuals and Families Older Adults or Adults track must view the following webinar (parts 1-3) and associated assessment to meet school social work licensure requirements. Students must receive a minimum score of 80% or better to pass the exam. The Office of Social Work Student Services will receive a copy of your score; there is no need to submit a copy.

Part 1

Part 2

Part 3

Please click on the following link to access the assessment: 

Edit this page

Connect With Us‌

Facebook Twitter Linkedin

Contact Information

Main Office Phone:



Main Office
Central Classroom Suite 201

Office of Field Education
Central Classroom Suite 202

Office of Social Work Student Services
Central Classroom Suite 206

Maps and Parking

Mailing Address:

Metropolitan State University of Denver
Department of Social Work
PO Box 173362 CB 70
Denver, CO 80217-3362