Shared Governance Implementation Team
In the fall 2014 semester, former president Dr. Stephen Jordan convened a task force to examine shared governance at MSU Denver. The task force, chaired by Winston Grady-Willis, Africana Studies Department chair, and Braelin Pantel, associate vice president for student engagement and wellness/dean of students, was charged to review and recommend policies and actions that will develop a structure of effective shared governance at all levels of MSU Denver.
The task force submitted a final report to Dr. Jordan and the Board of Trustees in June, 2015 with key recommendations:
- a redefined President's Cabinet would serve to discuss and oversee institution-wide decisions and share information;
- establish a discourse of trust;
- prioritize communication, including revising the statement of shared governance to better reflect its meaning at MSU Denver;
- increase opportunities for people's voices to be heard;
- study current governance structures;
- increase access to the Board of Trustees and enhancing trustee engagement.
To ensure this important work moves forward, President Jordan has asked Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs Vicki Golich and Chief of Staff and Chief Communications Officer Cathy Lucas to lead an implementation team.
The Implementation Team
- review and prioritize recommendations of the 2015 report;
- create an inventory of recommendations, with a goal to move quickly on some, identify those already complete and remove recommendations that are no longer valid;
- create sub-groups to focus on specific recommendations;
- develop a communications and outreach plan that will inform but also provide myriad opportunities for stakeholder engagement;
- make recommendations for a revised membership of the President's Cabinet with clear roles and responsibilities by early Fall semester.