Skip to main content Skip to main content

Changing Your Visa Status

If you are applying for a change of status to F-1 or F-2, International Student Support can help facilitate the process by creating your new I-20. You can change your status while in the United States by filing an I-539 and other supporting documents with the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). Wait times vary, but be prepared to wait for several months if you choose to change your immigration status within the U.S. The documents that are required for you to change your visa status vary depending on what your current status is.

Generally speaking, you will need the following documents to file for the Change of Visa Status. However, additional documents may be needed depending on your specific situation. Contact International Student Support prior to submitting your application to USCIS.

General documents needed to change your visa status to F-1:

  • Form I-539
  • Form G-1145
  • Admission Letter to MSU Denver
  • Copy of your I-20 (issued by Admissions for new students or International Student Support for current students)
    • If you are on an F-2 status, a copy of your F-2 I-20 is needed as well
  • Copy of your passport, current visa, and I-94
    • If you are on a dependent category, you will need copies of the primary visa holder's documents as well
  • Financial certification
  • $290 check payable to the U.S. Department of Homeland Security
  • A personal statement or letter explaining why you wish to change to the F-1 status
  • I-901 SEVIS Fee Payment Receipt

You can also change your status by leaving the United States and applying for a new visa at a U.S. consulate or embassy.

Email International Student Support to schedule a time to discuss changing your status.

Edit this page