Skip to main content Skip to main content

Travel Documents

If you plan to travel outside of the United States and reenter, you need a travel signature on your I-20 or DS-2019. Your I-20 or DS-2019 should have a signature within 6 months of the date you plan to reenter.

Getting a travel signature is a relatively quick process. You should contact International Student Support to request a time to get the travel signature. Due to busy times of the semester and unexpected delays, you should plan to get a travel signature at least 2 weeks before you leave the U.S.

If you are on OPT and are no longer in Denver, you can mail your I-20 to International Student Support using the following address:

International Student Support
Orientation, Transition, and Retention - Roadways
Metropolitan State University of Denver
Campus Box 62, P.O. Box 173362
Denver, CO 80217


In order to reenter the U.S., the following documents are required:

  • Passport, valid for at least 6 months after your date of entry into the U.S.
  • Valid visa (some exceptions exist for travel to Canada, Mexico, and adjacent islands. See information about Automatic Visa Revalidation and speak to the International Student Support Coordinator for more details.)
  • I-20 or DS-2019 signed for travel in the past 6 months
  • If you are currently on OPT, you will need to bring your EAD card
  • If you are currently on OPT, proof of employment is required if you are able to provide it (this can be a letter from your employer stating that you are currently employed, an offer letter if you have not yet started the employment, and/or pay stubs)


Do not pack the above documents in your luggage. Carry them with you at all times.


The following documents are also useful in verifying your activities as an international student. We recommend that you bring them as an extra precaution if an immigration official questions your student visa status:

  • Transcript of coursework (you can print an unofficial transcript from your student account)
  • Financial documentation, such as a personal bank statement
  • I-901 SEVIS Fee Payment Receipt (you can always look this up online)
  • Printout of current and future enrollment (your class schedule)
  • If you are on OPT or CPT, a letter from an employer acknowledging the travel and your salary amount.

Edit this page