MSU Denver Men’s Basketball Season Recap Celebration 4/11
Contact: Contact: Tim Carroll, Office 303-556-5136, Cell 303-870-7705
Posted: April 10, 2013
WHAT: Metropolitan State University of Denver is holding a men’s basketball team recap event to celebrate their remarkable 2012-13 season and position as runner-up in the NCAA DII tournament. MSU Denver played a hard-fought game against Drury University on Sunday, April 7, resulting in a final score of 74-73.
Join the University to recognize the team’s long list of 2012-13 season accomplishments. Since most Roadrunner fans could not attend the game in Atlanta, a welcome-back party is planned for students, alumni and the community to show their collective support for the team’s historic season.
MSU Denver continues to build upon its winning legacy. The men’s basketball team won national championships in 2000 and 2002 and finished second in 1999 and 2013.
WHEN/WHERE: Thursday, April 11, 2013 – Student Success Building (South Entrance Commons)
890 Auraria Pkwy. Denver, CO 80204
Noon – 12:30 p.m.
For parking and directions visit: http://www.ahec.edu/campusmaps/maps.htm
WHO: MSU Denver Pep Band performs, speakers and team take stage (Noon)
Bill Hanzlik, MSU Denver Board Trustee, former Nuggets coach/player and emcee, event welcome (12:15 p.m.)
President Stephen Jordan remarks
Head Coach Derrick Clark remarks
Roadrunner Spirit Squad leads cheer: mascot, music, band, team photos
Closing Remarks (12:25 p.m.)
2012-13 Season Accomplishments:
- Runner-up in the NCAA Division II tournament
- Ranked No. 3 in Division II at the conclusion of the season and was ranked No. 1 for a school record of five consecutive weeks.
- NCAA South Central Regional champion for the second consecutive year
- Rocky Mountain Athletic Conference (RMAC) regular season and tournament champions.
- The team finished 32-3, the best winning percentage in school history.
- All five scorers for the men’s basketball team average more than 10 points per game.
- Men’s basketball Head Coach Derrick Clark is the Division II Bulletin National Coach of the Year; John McLendon National Coach of the Year finalist among all divisions; NABD South Central Region Coach of the year; RMAC Coach of the Year; and (2013)
- Jonathan Morse (Sr., Boulder, Colo.) was named second team All-America; Rocky Mountain Athletic Conference player of the year; (2013); NCAA Elite eight All-Tournament team.
- Nicolas Kay (Fr., Tamworth, Australia) was named 2013 NCAA DII Elite 89 award winner, 3.97 GPA in biology (top GPA at each NCAA championship), and a Rocky Mountain Athletic Conference Summit Award winner (top GPA at RMAC shootout semifinals).
- Brandon Jefferson (Jr., Flower Mound, Texas), Mitch McCarron (So., Brisbane, Australia), Demetrius Miller (Sr., Flint, Michigan) also received a number of regional and national accolades.
About Metropolitan State University of Denver
MSU Denver is the leader in educating undergraduate Coloradans and enrolls the highest number of students of color among the state’s four-year colleges. The University currently has 23,000 students and offers 55 majors and master’s degrees in accounting, teaching and social work. It boasts more than 74,000 alumni, the bulk of whom remain in Colorado after graduation.