Skip to main content Skip to main content

Entrance Counseling

‌In order to accept the Perkins loan, please complete steps 1-3 below:

 1. Complete, sign and date the Personal and Confidential Information, the Statement of Rights and Responsibilities, the Master Promissory Note, and the Disclosure. Note: Forms must be signed in ink. We cannot accept faxed or emailed copies.

Download the forms here: Entrance Paperwork Expires 9-2018

2. Go to Mapping Your Future. You will need to review this information and pass a test. Print the confirmation page showing you have completed the counseling.‌

3. Return the completed and signed documents, including the confirmation, to our office either by mail or by dropping them off in SSB 150 (an afterhours drop box is located outside our office). Note: Forms must be signed in ink. We cannot accept faxed or emailed copies.

 Please review the information below and if you have questions or concerns please call 303-556-2913 to speak with a Perkins loan representative.

Entrance Forms

Entrance Paperwork Expires 9-2018

Reject Perkins Loan



What is a Federal Perkins Loan?

It is important that you understand the Perkins Loan Program, including the terms of your loan and your responsibility for repaying the loan.

Upon completion of this student loan counseling session, you will receive a confirmation page that contains your rights and responsibilities. Your promissory note will also contain your rights and responsibilities. You may need to complete a promissory note for each loan period, though your school may use a Master Promissory Note for multiple loans.

The MPN:

  • is a binding legal agreement you sign to indicate your commitment to repay your student loan(s);
  • may be used for multiple loans up to 10 years, if your school uses the multi-year feature; and
  • makes the borrowing process easier for borrowers and schools alike.

You may be required to sign a new MPN if your school does not use the multi-year feature.  If you would feel more comfortable completing and signing a new MPN each time you borrow, you may do so. Using the single-year feature, you will sign one MPN for every loan that you obtain.

The multi-year feature of the MPN will be revoked after the earliest of the following dates:

  • The date your school receives your written notice that no further loans may be distributed under the note;
  • 12 months after the date you sign the MPN if there have been no disbursements during this 12 month period; or
  • 10 years from the date you sign the MPN.

Your school also may revoke the terms of the MPN in situations such as bankruptcy. Your school may require that you confirm the loan package or each loan disbursement.

Under the Perkins loan program, the school makes the loan to the student borrower. A Federal Perkins Loan is a low-interest (5 percent) loan for both undergraduate and graduate students with exceptional financial need. Your school is your lender. The loan is made with government funds with a share contributed by the school. You must repay this loan to your school, or to the billing service engaged by your school as its agent to administer billing and collection functions.

This is a need-based loan.

This loan may be used only for educational expenses.

Interest on the loan does not accrue while you are in school, during your grace period, or during authorized periods of deferment.

The interest rate is fixed at 5 percent.

You can be enrolled less than half time to qualify, at the discretion of the institution.

Repayment begins nine months after you are no longer enrolled on at least a half-time basis.

Minimum monthly payments required are $40.

Understanding Perkins Loan Borrowing

It is important to remember that loans must be repaid; even if you:

  • do not complete your education,
  • are not employed upon completion of your studies, or
  • feel that the education you received did not meet your expectations.

Always Borrow Conservatively!

Maximum Perkins Annual Loan Amounts

Undergraduate $5,500

Graduate $8,000

Aggregate Loan Limits for Federal Perkins Loans (cumulative total for all schooling)

Undergraduate $27,500

Graduate $60,000

Maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress:

To be eligible for federal financial aid, you must maintain satisfactory academic progress toward a certificate or degree. Each school must publish a standard for evaluating satisfactory academic progress that must contain a maximum time frame for program completion and a minimum quality standard, such as grade point average. Please obtain and review a current copy of your school's standards.

Withdrawals and Refunds:

It is very important that you contact the appropriate offices at your school (such as the financial aid office, registrar, and business office) if you decide to withdraw prior to completing your program of study.

The law specifies the amount of financial assistance you earn each academic year and how your school determines your eligibility. If you withdraw, the school uses a specific formula to calculate how much aid you've earned to that point. If you received less assistance than the amount that you earned, you will be able to receive those additional funds. If you received more assistance than you earned your school must return excess funds in a specific order. Contact your school if you want more information about their published refund policy.

Loan Repayment

Once you are out of school, you will have to pay back the loan. It is important that you know your total loan amount, the repayment amount, and develop a budget and stick to it. This will keep you from accumulating large debts and help you manage your student loan payments when you have finished school.

Several things occur after you leave school or drop below half-time attendance. First, you are granted a grace period--a period of time (nine months) when you don't have to make payments. (Of course, you can prepay your loans any time you want, without penalty.) During the grace period, no interest accrues on your loan.

What if you re-enroll in school? It depends on when you do it. If you re-enroll at least half-time during this grace period--and you file for deferment--you get another nine-month grace period the next time you drop below half-time. If you re-enroll after the grace period, however, your next grace period will only be six months.

If you have a loan in grace and are ordered to active duty, you are eligible to have one or more military extensions of the grace period, for up to three years. This includes the time necessary to resume enrollment at the next available enrollment period. If you are called to active duty during the initial grace period, a new nine-month initial grace period can be granted upon completion of the excluded period.

When the time comes to begin loan repayment the Federal Perkins Loan usually is set at a minimum monthly payment of $40. The payment amount may be higher depending on your loan balance. The maximum repayment period is 10 years.

Loan Amounts and Monthly Payments

Below is a chart with sample loan amounts and monthly payments based on an interest rate of 5 percent:

Loan Amounts and Monthly Payments

Below is a chart with sample loan amounts and monthly payments based on an interest rate of 5 percent:

Amount BorrowedMonthly Payment AmountNumber of PaymentsTotal Amount Paid
$1,500.00 $40.00 41 $1,640.00
$3,500.00 $40.00 109 $4,362.00
$5,500.00 $58.34 120 $7,000.80
$6,500.00 $68.94 120 $8,272.80
$7,500.00 $79.55 120 $9,546.00
$8,500.00 $90.16 120 $10,819.20
$10,000.00 $106.07 120 $12,728.40
$12,500.00 $132.58 120 $15,909.60
$15,000.00 $159.10 120 $19,092.00
$20,000.00 $212.13 120 $25,455.60
$27,500.00 $291.68 120 $35,001.60
$60,000.00 $636.39 120 $76,366.80

Loan Cancellation and Discharge

You may be eligible for a Request for Cancellation if you serve as one of the following:

  • Teacher in a public or nonprofit school (elementary or secondary level). The teaching must be in a school serving low-income students, in a field of expertise where the state education agency determines there is a shortage of qualified teachers, or in one of the following fields: mathematics, science, foreign language, or bilingual education.
  • Teacher in special education for infants, toddlers, children, or youth with disabilities. Your teaching can take place in a public or nonprofit school system (elementary or secondary level).
  • Full-time staff members in a prekindergarten or child care program that is licensed or regulated by the state.
  • Full-time speech language pathologists with a master?s degree working exclusively in Title I schools.
  • Librarians with a master?s degree in library science who are employed in a school served under Title I of the ESEA, or a public library serving a Title I school.
  • Full-time faculty members at a tribally controlled university.
  • Nurse or medical technician (or allied health professions).
  • Full-time firefighters.
  • Full-time employee in a child or family service agency (either public or private nonprofit) that is providing, or supervising the provision of, services to high-risk children who are from low-income communities, as well as to the families of these children.
  • Full-time, qualified, professional provider of early intervention services in a public or other nonprofit program under public supervision by the lead agency, as authorized in section 632(5) of the Individuals with Disabilities Act.
  • Law enforcement, public prosecutor, public defender, or corrections officer.
  • Full-time staff member in a Head Start program.
  • A member of the Armed Forces in an area of hostilities that qualifies for special pay under section 310 of Title 37 of the United States Code.
  • Volunteer under the Peace Corps Act or the Domestic Volunteer Service Act of 1973 (ACTION programs). Contact your school if you think you qualify.

If you serve as an enlisted person in certain specialties of the U.S. Army, the Army Reserves, the Army National Guard, or the Air National Guard, the U.S. Department of Defense may repay a portion of your Perkins loan. Contact your recruiting officer to find out more. AmeriCorps service may provide education awards to help finance college or help pay back student loans. Contact AmeriCorps at (800) 942-2677 or for more information.

Finally, if you become totally and permanently disabled, or if you die, your loan obligation will be cancelled. Loan cancellation due to disability requires certification from a physician and is subject to a conditional period of three years.

Please contact your school or its billing service to request more information or the necessary forms for cancellation of your Perkins loans. You must file cancellation forms annually.

Solutions for Repayment Problems

If you can't repay your Perkins Loans, talk to your school or its billing service immediately. Why? Because if you skip even ONE payment, you may be considered in default on your student loan, facing serious consequences. You can avoid these consequences if you talk to your school or its billing service at the first sign you can't make your payments. The school has several options to help you resolve your financial difficulties without going into default. Among those options:

Deferment: A deferment is a period of time during which your school temporarily suspends your regular payments. If your loans were made on or after July 1, 1993, you may be eligible for the following deferments:

To request a deferment on a Perkins Loan, contact your school or its billing service for details.

Request for Forbearance : Like a deferment, forbearance temporarily reduces or suspends your regular payments. With forbearance, however, you are responsible for the interest that accrues during the forbearance period. For details on requesting forbearance, contact your school or its billing service.

Delinquency and Default

Default can have serious consequences--not just extra charges for late payments, but also:

  • damage to your credit rating, which could impact your ability to borrow (for example, you may be denied a car loan);
  • referral of your account to a collection agency;
  • collection costs;
  • garnishment of your wages;
  • withholding of your state or federal Treasury payments (including federal tax refunds, Social Security benefits, etc.);
  • civil lawsuit, including court costs and legal expenses;
  • loss of deferment and forbearance entitlements and flexible repayment options;
  • loss of eligibility for further financial aid; and
  • suspension of your professional license.

In addition, when you fail to repay your student loan, the total balance may become due immediately. There is no statute of limitations for student loans, and your creditors will not cease in their efforts to collect this debt.

Remember, if your loan is turned over to a collection agency, you will be responsible for collection costs assessed by the agency. These charges, in addition to late charges, will dramatically increase the amount you owe.

Bankruptcy doesn't cancel your loan obligation either; however, a loan may be eligible for discharge/cancellation due to bankruptcy if you can prove undue hardship in an adversary proceeding in bankruptcy court.

If you default, you may be eligible for the loan rehabilitation program. Once a loan is rehabilitated, the school will instruct credit bureaus to remove the default from your history and return your account to regular repayment status. You'll also regain the balance of benefits and privileges listed in the promissory note. Rehabilitation can only be granted once per loan.

You can include a defaulted loan in consolidation if you've made satisfactory arrangements to pay it.

For Help with a Dispute or Problem

The Federal Student Aid (FSA) Ombudsman works with student loan borrowers to resolve loan disputes and problems informally. The goal is to find creative alternatives for borrowers who need help with their federal loans. You can reach the FSA Ombudsman at:

Office of the Ombudsman
United States Department of Education
4th Floor UCP-3/MS 5144
830 First Street NE
Washington DC 20202
Toll-free phone: 1-877-557-2575


Financial Literacy Topic

Now that you've learned about student loans, it's important to keep your other personal finances in mind. Here are some important steps to become financially fit:

  • Establish yourself financially by building good credit and budgeting to keep your "wants" under control:
    • Open up checking and savings accounts. Don't overdraw these accounts.
    • Make your monthly payments for loans and services (like your phone bill) on time each month.
    • Make a list of your values - the things that are really important to you - and set your goals to help you maintain those values.
    • Create a spending plan that meets your "wants" as well as your "needs." Your total expenses should be less than or equal to your total income. If your income is not enough to cover your expenses, adjust your spending plan by deciding which expenses you can change.
    • Periodically evaluate your spending plan to make sure it is still meeting your needs and achieve your goals. Update if necessary.
    • Review your credit report once a year to make sure it is accurate.
    • If things are getting out of control, contact your creditors, seek help from a reputable credit counseling service, or look into debt consolidation.
  • Start saving now! Think you can't afford it? Try paying yourself first. When you pay your monthly bills, write a check to you and deposit it into your savings account or transfer money from checking to savings via your bank website. If you lack the discipline to do this, find out if direct deposit is available through your employer. With direct deposit, a specified dollar amount is deducted directly from your paycheck and credited to your savings account at a bank, credit union, or other savings institution.

Start an emergency savings fund equal to six to twelve months of your normal monthly earnings. After you have an emergency fund, monthly savings can be set aside for vacations, a new car, marriage--important but expensive goals!

  • Understand that alternative/private student loans have different features than your federal student loans. If it is necessary to borrow these loans in addition to your federal loans, research all programs. There are some key differences in these programs. Some important factors to keep in mind:
    • Alternative loans usually are credit based and many loans typically require a co-signer.
    • The interest rate is often based on your credit rating.
    • Fees vary among programs.
    • There is no federal interest subsidy on an alternative student loan. Even if you don't have to make payments while you're in school, interest will most likely accrue.
    • Not all alternative loans programs have a grace period.
  • Use your credit cards wisely to help you establish a solid credit rating and avoid financial problems. Every time you use your credit card, you are borrowing money. If you don't pay off your balance each month, you will have to pay a finance charge.

When selecting a credit card, you should shop around for the best deal, based on your budget and repayment habits. Look for the following characteristics:

  • A low annual percentage rate (watch out for low introductory rates that are raised after a year or less)
  • The interest calculation method (affects how much interest you pay, even when the APR is identical)
  • Low or no annual fees
  • A grace period (may only apply if you pay off the balance each month; may not apply if you carry a balance or take a cash advance)
  • The credit limit (it may be a good idea to start small–say around $500-$1,500.)
  • Services and features, such as cash rebates, frequent flyer miles, extended warranties, etc. (while they may appear to be a good deal on the surface, they may be difficult to earn and redeem; evaluate these offers in terms of their value to you, and any extra credit costs you may incur)

Keep copies of all of your credit card records and receipts to compare to your monthly statements. Follow up on any errors. Shred or otherwise destroy carbons and receipts before throwing them away.

  • Understand your credit report. If you have ever applied for a charge card, student loan, or other kinds of credit, you probably have a credit report (or credit profile). Credit reporting agencies collect and organize information about you and your repayment history, and make it available to those who are considering granting you credit. Landlords, employers, government licensing agencies, and insurance underwriters can also obtain your credit report.

Most negative information stays on your credit report for seven years, though some bankruptcies remain 10 years. Positive information stays on indefinitely. Inquiries stay on for six months to two years, depending on the type of inquiry.

All U.S. citizens are eligible to receive a free credit report once per year.

Here's how:


View and print one or all of your credit reports. There are three major credit reporting agencies: Equifax, Trans Union, and Experian.

Know when fees may apply. You may be charged a fee if you request more than one copy from the same credit reporting agencies within a year or if you request your credit/FICO® score.

Any time credit has been denied, you may request a free credit report within 60 days of the denial.

Statement of Rights and Responsibilities

I understand that student loans have to be repaid. I also understand that I have specific rights and responsibilities when I borrow under the Federal Perkins Loan Program that are outlined below.

  1. The school is the holder of my Promissory Note and I must, without exception, contact the school (or its billing service).
    • if I withdraw from school,
    • if I change my name,
    • if my telephone number changes,
    • if I transfer to another school,
    • if my address changes,
    • if I drop below half-time status,
    • if my Social Security Number changes,
    • if my expected graduation date changes, and/or
    • if my driver's license number changes.
  2. An Exit Interview is required when I graduate, withdraw, or drop below half-time status from the school. Failure to comply can result in an administrative hold being placed on my diploma, transcripts, and registration status.
  3. My first payment will be due ten months from the time I cease to be at least a half-time student.
  4. minimum payment will be $40 per month. The maximum length of time for repayment of all loans is ten years.
  5. The interest rate will be 5 percent per year on the unpaid principal balance. Interest will begin to accrue nine months after I cease to be enrolled as at least a half-time student with my first payment due the following month.
  6. I may be eligible to receive a partial loan cancellation for certain types of services performed (refer to Promissory Note). I am required to inform the school (or its billing service) of such status in writing in a timely manner.
  7. I may request that payments on my loan(s) be deferred based on provisions stated in my Promissory Note. I must inform the school (or its billing service) of such status in writing in a timely manner.
  8. If I cannot pay on time, I must contact the school's student loan office (or its billing service) to make arrangements. I will be charged late fees or penalty charges for each month I fail to make an installment when due or to comply with other terms of my promissory note or written repayment agreement.
  9. If I fail to repay my loan as agreed, the total balance may become due and payable immediately.
  10. If my loan goes into default, I will no longer be eligible to receive further financial aid. My loan could be sent to an outside collection agency and legal action could be taken against me. I will be responsible for all costs of collections as stipulated in my Promissory Note. (Default is when you fail to make an installment when due or to comply with other terms of your promissory note or written repayment agreement.) A defaulted loan may be assigned to the U.S. Government for collection. If you default you may lose your benefits for deferment and cancellation.
  11. I will promptly answer any communication from the school regarding my loan.
  12. I may prepay the entire balance, or any portion thereof, at any time without penalty.
  13. I realize that aggregate loan limits are $27,500 for an undergraduate and $60,000 for a graduate or professional student and the maximum I may borrow in any given year is $5,500 for an undergraduate and $8,000 for a graduate or professional student. The amount is at the discretion of the financial aid director.
  14. I authorize the school to contact any school which I may attend to obtain information concerning my student status, year of study, dates of attendance, graduation or withdrawal, my transfer to another school, or my current address. This authorization is in effect until my loan is paid in full.
  15. I understand that default on any loan(s) will be reported to national credit bureaus.
  16. I understand that I may consolidate my Federal Loans.

If during your repayment you develop student loan problems that can't be resolved through the school or its billing service, you may want to contact the US Department of Education Federal Student Aid (FSA) Ombudsman. They will collect documentation and work to resolve the situation with you.

U.S. Department of Education
FSA Ombudsman Group
830 First Street, N.E., Mail Stop 5144
Washington, DC 20202-5144
Toll-free phone: 1-877-557-2575 

Edit this page