All current MSU Denver students, faculty, and staff have an email account as soon as they are accepted into the University. The email accounts are hosted by Microsoft Office 365, and the email address format is your NetID followed by @msudenver.edu (example: NetID@msudenver.edu).
Along with email, Microsoft Office 365 also provides tools that include:
- Email storage of 50 GB per account
- OneDrive online data storage of 1 TB per account
- Enhanced spam filtering and malware protection
- Access to email and storage from anywhere using your MSU Denver login
- Downloadable Microsoft Office Suite
- Web Apps for Word, Excel, Powerpoint, and OneNote
Student email accounts are deactivated and inaccessible one year after their last semester being enrolled in a course. Faculty and Staff accounts are disabled immediately following their separation from the University.
2. Click the 'Email' link.
3. The Office 365 login page will display. Enter your email address and click Next.
4. Enter your password when prompted, then click Sign in.
5. You may be prompted to set up additional information to keep your account secure. Please visit our Password Reset page for more information on configuring account recovery options.
6. If you are prompted, select a language and time zone.
Microsoft provides instructions on their support website for how add Office 365 email accounts to various email clients. Links to instructions for more common clients are provided below.
When configuring the account, your username in most cases will be your full email address, not just your NetID. Your password will be your NetID password. If prompted, the mail server is outlook.office365.com.
Please note that Outlook 2016 is the recommended email client for use with Office 365 email accounts. Other clients may work, but may have reduced features or functionality, and may experience errors ITS is unable to resolve. Outlook 2016 is part of the Microsoft Office 2016 software suite, and is available as a free download for all current MSU Denver students, faculty, and staff.
1. Log in to the Outlook Web App (see "How to access MSU Denver email in a web browser" above).
2. Click the Gear icon in the upper-right corner and select Mail at the bottom of the list.
3. In the sidebar that opens on the left, navigate to Mail > Accounts > Forwarding
4. Select the Start forwarding radio button, and add the email address you want to forward to.
5. Click the Save button.
To free up space in your primary email Inbox and help you access your email faster, any messages that you received or sent over two years ago will automatically be moved to your personal email Archive mailbox. You are also encouraged to manually move messages to your Archive mailbox, if you want to keep them but don’t need to access them very often.
You may access the Archive mailbox through the Outlook Web App using the following process:
- Access the Outlook Web App using a supported web browser (please see the section "How to access MSU Denver email in a web browser" above)
- Once logged in, click the More link located under the Folders heading (on the left side of the Outlook window).
- Click the link labeled In-Place Archive - [your name] to open the Archived mailbox.
- You should see the same folder structure that you have set up in your primary (non-archived) mailbox.
Revised: March 2019
If you have additional questions, concerns, or need immediate assistance - Please contact the MSU Denver Helpdesk.