Are you interested in advancing your nursing career as a specialty nurse?
If you are an experienced RN with one or more years of working history in a hospital setting and are interested
in advancing your career as a specialty nurse, this program is for you.
MSU Denver in collaboration with SCL Health, is offering two courses:
- Introduction to Emergency Nursing
- Introduction to Critical Care
- Emergency Nursing January 16 - March 24 (10 week course)
- Candidate interviews will be held November 6 or 7, 2017
- Critical Care January 16 - March 24 (10 week course)
- Candidate interviews will be held November 13 or 14, 2017
- Mandatory course orientation on December 12, 2017
Participating Hospitals Include:
- Good Samaritan Medical Center
- Lutheran Medical Center
- Platte Valley Medical Center
- Saint Joseph Hospital
- SCL Health will cover your tuition for the course of your choosing and provide a $5,000 stipend to eligible scholars not currently employed with SCL Health.
- Must be a registered nurse with a current unencumbered Colorado RN license and BLS certification.
- Experienced RNs with one or more years of employment in a hospital setting are welcome and encouraged to apply.
- Student costs and documentation requirements will include background check and drug screen (approx. $80), student liability insurance (approx. $110), scrubs, physical, and current immunizations. If accepted into the course, all requirements must be submitted before the December 12 orientation date.
- Classes will be held at Lutheran Medical Center and MSU Denver Campuses. Clinical rotations will be at participating hospitals and will include hands-on training.
- In this full-time program, you will receive college credit hours that may be applied toward a BSN or MSN degree.
- Each course will meet one day a week for classroom, skills lab and simulation exercises. There will also be clinical shifts that can be scheduled on weekdays, weekends, holidays, days or nights. In addition, there is work to be completed independently, including online modules and assigned readings.
- This is a full-time program with the need for flexibility in scheduling clinical shifts. Students will work the schedule of their preceptor and must be available for assigned shifts.
- Successful completion of the program and remaining in good standing with SCL Health may result in an offer of employment.
- November 1, 2017
- Applications received after the deadline will be reviewed on a space available basis
- Complete the Nursing Specialty Course Application (applicants wanting to apply to multiple courses must complete each application)
- Items needed to complete the application include RN license information and academic information
- Documents to upload with the application include:
- Professional resume
- Copy of current unencumbered Colorado license in good standing
- Copy of current BLS certification
- Recommendation letter from employer or copy of most recent performance review
- Two page essay, typed, and double-spaced addressing the following topics:
- Describe a time when you created a therapeutic relationship with your patient and how that impacted your practice. Then, explain how you integrated your technique(s) into practice for creating relationships every time with every patient.
- Share your most meaningful experience caring for a patient or their loved one and how it impacted your practice or contributed to your personal mission as a caregiver.
- MSU Denver paper application (complete and upload with the specialty course application). This application is needed to be admitted as a MSU Denver student and assigned a student ID to be registered for the course and receive course credit. Specialty course students will have the MSU Denver application fee waived and do not need to submit transcripts. MSU Denver Application