UNIVERSITY TELEPHONE SYSTEM
Phone Quick Reference Guide
All MSU Denver faculty and staff members will receive either the Polycomm VVX 311 or 411 phone. The phone models are basically the same except the VVX 411 has a color display and 12 line keys and the VVX 311 has a monochrome display and 6 line keys. Please use the information below for the VVX 311 as well as the VVX 411 telephones.
Table of Contents
- Dialing From an MSU Denver Phone
- Important Phone Numbers
- Phone Diagram
- Phone Views
Dialing From an MSU Denver Phone
Internal Calls (inside MSU Denver)
Dial the 5-digit extension (5-xxxx).
Local Calls (outside MSU Denver)
Dial 9 + area code + the seven digit number of the party you are calling.
Direct Dial Long Distance Calls - U.S. and Canada
Dial 9 + 1 + area code + the seven digit number of the party you are calling.
Dial 9 + 011 + country code + city code + local telephone number of the party you are calling.
Dial 9 + 1 + toll-free number.
Important Phone Numbers
Emergency Calls - Police, Fire, Rescue
911 or 9 + 911 (both are acceptable)
Please note: In the event that you dial 9-1-1 by mistake, please stay on the line and tell the emergency operator that you have called in error. Abandoned calls can result in a first responder being dispatched to the origin of the call to insure there is no emergency.
303-615-0000 or 5-0000
(yet to be implemented)
303-615-0411 or 5-0411
Access the University’s "telephone directory" via the phone.
Voicemail Main Number
303-615-1000 or 5-1000
Check your voicemail using your phone.
Dial-in Conference Bridge
303-615-0444 or 5-0444
Information Technology Services (ITS) Helpdesk
303-352-7548 or 2-7548
- Press the Home key.
- Use the Navigation keys to choose Messages.
- Use the Select button to select Message Center.
- Enter your PIN and press the # key.
- If desired, follow the prompts to record your name.
- If desired, follow the prompts to record a personal greeting.
Checking Your Voicemail
You can also check your voicemail from your phone:
- Press the Home key.
- Use the Navigation keys to choose Messages.
- Use the Navigation keys to navigate to a message and then press the button under Play.
Accessing the Voicemail Box of a Specific Phone Extension (e.g. Departmental Extension)
- Dial 5-1000.
- Press the * (star) key.
- Enter the extension number of the voicemail box that want to access.
- Enter the PIN for that extension.
- After you are logged into that extension’s voicemail box, you can set up the voicemail greeting, etc.
- For Home view from any menu, press the Home key.
- Press the Home key to alternate between Home and Lines view.
Home view displays icons you can select to access phone functions.
To get to different icons, you can use the right, left, up, and down arrow keys on the Navigation key (shown above right). To choose an icon, press the Select button in the center of the Navigation key.
Lines view displays phone lines, Favorites and soft keys. If your phone is idle, you can press the Line key to access the Dialer.
If your phone has one or more calls, you can access Calls view.
Call color indicates status:
- Dark green—Active call
- Bright blue—Incoming call
- Dark blue—Held call
Use the up and down arrow keys to select a call. The soft keys control the selected call.
Viewing Recent Calls
From Lines view, do one of the following:
- Press the Home key, select Directories, and select Recent Calls to view your Recent Calls list.
- Press the right arrow key to view the recent Placed Calls.
- Press the left arrow key to view the recent Received Calls.
- Press the down arrow key to view the recent Missed Calls.
- Press the up arrow key to view Favorites.
From the Recent Calls list, press Sort to sort and order calls, press Type to display only certain calls, or select a call record to call the person.
- Only one call can be active at one time.
- You can use the handset, speakerphone, or headset for calls. During a call, you can change modes by picking up the handset, or by pressing the Headset key or the Speakerphone key.
- If you navigate away from your call(s), press the Home key to see Active Call or Calls view again.
Tip: Switching Between Lines and Calls View
- When in Calls view, switch to Lines view by pressing More > Lines.
- Switch back to Calls view by pressing More > Calls
- Pick up the handset, press the Headset key or the Speakerphone key. Enter the phone number. Or enter the phone number first, then press Dial. You may pick up the handset or press the Headset key for privacy.
- From Lines view: Press the phone Line key, enter the phone number.
- From Home view: Select New Call using the left and right arrow keys. Enter the phone number.
- If you are dialing a phone within the University, enter the 5-digit number. For a local call, enter 9 + 10-digit phone number. If you are dialing a long-distance call, enter 9 + 1 + 10-digit phone number.
Tip: Placing Calls Quickly
Select a recent call or Favorite, or select a contact’s phone number in the Contact Directory.
- To answer with the speakerphone, press the Speakerphone key or Answer.
- To answer with the handset, pick up the handset.
- To answer with a headset, press the Headset key.
- To answer a new call while on an active call, press Answer. The current call will be held.
- To end an active call, replace the handset, press the Headset or the Speakerphone key, or press End Call.
- From Calls view, press Hold or the Hold key. Remember to highlight the call first.
- To resume a held call, press the Hold key again. Remember to highlight the call first.
- From Calls view, press Transfer or the Transfer key.
- Dial the party you wish to transfer to.
- After you speak to the desired party, press Transfer to complete the call.
- To enable call forwarding, press Forward from Home or Lines view. Select the forwarding type to enable, enter a forwarding number, and press Enable.
- To disable call forwarding, press Forward from Home or Lines view, select the forwarding type to disable, and press Disable.
- To enable per-call forwarding: As your phone rings, press Forward, enter the forwarding number, and press Forward
Placing Conference Calls
- Call the first party, and after the call connects, press More, and select Confrnc. (Note: ”More” and “Confrnc” will appear after you start the call.)
- Then, dial and connect with the second party and press Confrnc again.
- Press Hold to hold all participants, press Resume to retrieve conference from hold.
- Press End Call to end the conference call.
Tip: Quickly Placing Conference Calls
If you already have an active and held call, press Join to bring these calls together in conference.
Skype for Business - Customizing Voice Call Notifications
- Open a web browser and go to the Faculty & Staff Hub.
- Click the Email (Office 365) link.
- Log into Office 365 using your NetID and NetID password.
- Click the gear icon located in the upper-right corner of the Office 365 window to display the 'Settings' menu.
- Click the Mail link under the 'Your app settings' heading to display the 'Options' menu.
- Click the General heading to expand that menu.
- Click the Voicemail heading to expand that menu (if it's not already expanded).
- Click the Notifications link to display the notification options available to you.
- Select or deselect the checkbox to indicate the type of notification you want to receive when people call you and don't leave a voice message.
To select a contact from the Contact Directory, press the Navigation keys/Select button.
- To view your Directory—Select Directories from Home view. Press Contact Directory on the Directory screen.
- To add a contact—Navigate to your Contact Directory and press Add. Enter the contact’s information, and press Save. To make a contact a Favorite, enter a Favorite Index
- To update contact information— Navigate to your Contact Directory and select the contact. Press Info, press Edit, update the contact’s information, and press Save.
- To delete a contact— Navigate to your Contact Directory and select the contact. Press Info, press Delete, and press Yes to confirm.
- To search for a contact—Navigate to your Contact Directory and press Search. Enter search criteria and press Search.
- To dial a contact from your Directory—Navigate to your Contact Directory and select the contact. From the contact’s information screen, select the contact’s phone number.
Tip: A star indicates a Favorite.
Creating Speed Dial Contacts
- Press and hold the blank line key you would like to use.
- Enter the contact’s first and last name (as you would like to see it appear on your display).
- Enter the contact’s phone number in the “Contact” field.
- Press Save. The line key will now be a speed dial for that contact.
Favorites are contacts you call most often. Your Favorites list displays all your Favorites. A smaller number of Favorites displays in Lines view.
- To view your Favorites list—From Home view, press and select Directories> Favorites.
- To make a contact a Favorite—Navigate to your Contact Directory and select the contact.
- Press Info, press More, and select Add.
- Press Yes to confirm.
- To dial a Favorite—Press the Favorite from Home or Lines view, or from your Favorites list.
Use the dialpad keys to enter information. To backspace or delete, press Backspace. To type with the dialpad keys, press a key repeatedly to view the character options and stop to select. To type other characters, press Encoding or Mode. When using the dialpad keys, use the 1, *, 0, and # keys.
Muting the Microphone
Using Do Not Disturb
The Do Not Disturb (DND) feature allows you to forward all your calls directly to voicemail (the caller will hear your Busy greeting when DND is activated). Please note, when DND is enabled, calls cannot be received until you disable the feature. To enable or disable ringing, press DND from Home or Lines view. When Do Not Disturb is enabled, the DND icon displays in the status bar and beside the appropriate Line key.
To change call volume, press the appropriate side of the Volume keys during a call. To change the ringer volume, press when the phone is idle or ringing.
Remember to update your business cards, printed materials, and email signature with your new phone number.
Your phone number will automatically be updated in Banner periodically. However, if you would like to manually update your phone number in Banner, please use the following process:
- Go to the MSU Denver Faculty & Staff Hub using a browser.
- Click the Self Service Banner link.
- Log in using your NetID and password.
- Click the Personal Information Menu link.
- Click the Update Address(es) and Phone(s) link.
- Click the Primary link under the 'Campus Box' - 'Phones' heading.
- Enter your new phone number in the Phone Number field. (Please refer to the example image for the field location and phone number format.)
- Click the Submit button to save your changes.