Parsing Data in Excel
- Insert a column to the right of the column containing the data to be separated.
- Note: There must be one or more blank columns to the right of the selected column or the data to the right of the elected column will be overwritten.
- Give the new column a name
- Select the range of cells that contains the text values. The range can be any number of rows tall, but no more than one column wide
- Select Data on the menu bar and select Text to Columns from the drop-down menu.
- Follow the instructions in the Convert Text to Columns Wizard to specify how you want to divide the text into columns.
- Choose Delimited as the original data type.
- Select the character that appears between the data you wish to separate. In this example the character is a forward slash.
- Select the format and destination of the parsed data and click Finish.