Mission Statement and Goals
Journey Through Our Heritage promotes self-empowerment, develops leaders, and engages students with community by increasing their cultural and historical knowledge base through involvement in healthy competition, rigorous academic study and community service. We use history, the creative arts, language, and cultural arts to help us accomplish our mission.
- To create a formal connection between MSU Denver’s Chicana/o Studies and Africana Studies students with GED/High School students state wide.
- To implement indigenous values, traditions, and practices to support youth through rigorous interdisciplinary academic competitions designed to challenge and inspire young minds.
- To embrace and promote diversity by broadening participating high school teachers’ ability to teach a more culturally inclusive curriculum, facilitate the infusion of cultural and historical contributions of Latina/os and other predominant indigenous ethnicities, and provide avenues for the success of all students in order to increase achievement by engaging in culturally relevant activities.
- To engage, collaborate and work with the community by building relationships with program administrators, community organizations, schools and potential partners who desire to participate in the program.
- To prepare JTOH college mentors to take leadership roles in local, regional, national and international community-based organizations.