Student Employee and Volunteer Application
Help Close Achievement Gaps!
Do you have a passion for learning? Are you eager to share it with others and give back to the community?
MSU Work Study Students: we need YOU to tutor high school students to help them reach their academic and professional goals!
The TRIO High School Upward Bound program located at the Metropolitan State University of Denver is a federally funded college preparatory program designed to assist low income and first generation college bound high school students by generating the skills and knowledge necessary to complete high school and to enter and succeed in college and beyond! Upward Bound serves students from Lincoln, East, West, Manual and North High schools, Our students are predominantly Latino and African American, come from low income families, and many seek to become the first person in their family to go to college. For many of our students, lack of academic resources and mentorship, past organization and study skills resulted in a history of low grades and standardized test scores. As an Upward Bound tutor you will play an active role in closing academic achievement gaps based on race, class and gender by helping students reach our three main program goals: 1) Enroll and succeed in rigorous classes such as Advanced Placement (AP), International Baccalaureate (IB) and Dual Enrollment classes 2) Enhance critical thinking skills, sense of social responsibility and collective power, 3) Expand upon skills and knowledge necessary to enter and succeed in post-secondary education
*September 2017-May 2018
*Planning and training sessions will begin the week of September 3rd
*The Upward Bound tutoring program will begin September 25th
*You will receive 15 hours of paid training between September 3rd and September 25th, dates and times of training are flexible and will depend on tutors’ availability.
*Tutoring hours: 3pm-6pm Monday-Thursday
*Tutors are expected to be available to work with students at least three days a week, plus staff meetings, training sessions, extra-curricular activities which may take place on Fridays or weekends
Description: Support Staff members provide weekly tutoring sessions for High School students in English, Social Studies, Foreign Language, Math and/or Science (dependent on candidate abilities) at least three days a week. Additionally, Support Staff will assist the Program Coordinator and Assistant Director with the planning and facilitation of workshops and various program activities throughout the year, as well as provide some administrative support to core staff members.
Support Staff will:
- Provide Tutoring to High School Students in both one on one sessions and in small groups
- Build and maintain rapport with students
- Attend weekly trainings and staff meetings
- Assess students’ progress in tutoring sessions, and one’s own tutoring skills
- Assist in the Planning and Facilitation of Workshops and Program events
- Monitor students’ academic progress
- Track daily attendance in to Blackboard
- Communicate with Students and Parents both in-person and over the phone
- Other duties as assigned including, but not limited to answer phones, make copies, file documents, and other administrative work
- Demonstrated commitment to serving high-need urban youth and families
- Understand and be able to implement culturally responsive instructional and pedagogical strategies
- Flexibility to adapt to program modifications to continuously improve programming
- Dependable, responsible and exhibit professionalism and appropriate boundaries
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Proficiency with Microsoft and Google Office Suites
- Must have an A or B in all classes concerning the areas in which they are tutoring
- Ability to pass a Criminal Background Check
- Eligible for Work Study
- Bilingual in English and Spanish
- Major in Education, African American Studies, Chicano Studies, Women Studies, Sociology or Human Services
- CPR and First Aid Certified
- Second Semester Freshman, Sophomore, or Junior Standing, although Seniors will be considered if it is not their last semester
Starting Hourly Wage: $12
Benefits of Participation:
*Trainings facilitated by nationally renowned education scholars
*Over 20 hours of professional development related best practices of teaching, tutoring and curriculum design
*Experience providing academic support for a variety of learners, i.e. advanced learners, students with learning disabilities,
*Opportunity to participate in a grant funded project
*Be included in the hiring pool for Upward Bound’s summer program
Supervisor: Sam Dancis, TRIO Education Coordinator
Application Process: Please Send a Cover Letter explaining your interest in tutoring students from a low-income/urban environment and any previous teaching or tutoring experiences, Resume, and copy of most recent College Transcripts (Freshman Applicants may submit an unofficial copy of their High School Transcripts with current Schedule) to Sam Dancis (Sdancis@msudenver.edu). Applicants must have either a recommendation form AT LEAST ONE Professor or other Full Time Faculty Member at MSU, UCD, or CCD, or AT LEAST TWO non-institutional references. Please put TRIOHSUB Support Staff Application (first name, last name, major) in the subject line of your email, and please include the subjects you are willing to tutor in your cover letter.
There is no option for online submission.