Besides their academic focus, the students in the TRiO High School Upward Bound program participate in many diverse activities that promote and encourage learning and exploration. These activities are designed for students and staff to step out of their everyday routines in order to equally participate and to explore relationships and abilities outside the normal parameters that will mutually benefit both, the students and the staff.
Academic Year Component
Each holiday season, HSUB holds a program-wide gathering to which every participant is encouraged to bring stories reflective of how his or her culture (or family) celebrates the winter season. It is an opportunity for the entire HSUB student body to get to know one another in an encouraging atmosphere, to celebrate the year's accomplishments, and in a low-key fashion to assess the possibilities in the coming year to meet the participant's needs.
- Supplementary English and math after school classes
- Required tutoring if a student has C, D or F in a core class
- Scheduled activities once a month to encourage learning and exploration
Although the eight-week summer session is short and rather intense, students engage in a variety of activities such as:
- Rigorous formal classroom instruction
- Meals: Breakfast and lunch
- Motivational guest speakers
- Educational, cultural, and social events
- Four-day retreat to the mountains
- Leadership Conference in Washington D.C.
- Recognition ceremony and banquet to celebrate student achievements
- End-of-the-year academic assessment