Application Steps and Requirements
- To apply for our Master of Health Administration Degree (MHA), we need the following requirements to be fulfilled by the dates below.
1. Complete the Graduate Admissions Application and pay the $50 nonrefundable application fee.
We have two application deadlines for the spring 2019Application Cycle:
- Priority Consideration Deadline: September 30, 2018
- Regular Deadline: November 30, 2018
- Priority Consideration Deadline: September 30, 2018
- Regular Deadline: November 15, 2018
Why Apply before the Priority Consideration Deadline Date
Applicants who submit all their materials by the priority consideration deadline of September 30 will have their application reviewed in advance by the MHA Admission Committee. Those ranked in the very top of the pool of applicants will be granted early admission to the program, granting them a head start on:
- Preparing to start the program
- Registering for classes
All other applicants who submit their application by the priority consideration deadline will have their application rolled forward and will receive their admission notification for spring 2019 entry after the regular application deadline and notification date.
Although only a select few will receive priority admission, we encourage you to give it a try, submit your materials early, then sit back and relax.
2. Official transcripts are needed from all colleges and universities attended.
- Transcripts must be sent directly to MSU Denver from the issuing institution(s). They can be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org, or mailed to
Metropolitan State University of Denver
Department of Health Professions
Attn: Master of Health Administration
P.O. Box 173362, Campus Box 33
Denver, CO 80217-3362
- MSU Denver official transcripts do not need to be requested.
- International transcripts must have an official English translation done by a certified translator (if applicable), and a professional course-by-course evaluation showing equivalency to a U.S. bachelor's degree. World Education Services (www.wes.org) or Education Credential Evaluators (www.ece.org) are recommended professional transcript evaluation service providers. If you prefer to use another company, please contact the graduate admissions coordinator to confirm an evaluation from the service provider will be accepted.
3. Upload Your Resume.
- Follow the directions in the application link above to upload your resume.
4. Need three (3) professional references
- The professional references are a part of our application process.
- Do not submit reference letters.
- You will be requesting your professional references to complete an online survey speaking to your abilities in decision-making, critical reasoning, ethics, and communications. Survey requests and results are monitored by you through the MSU Denver application process.
- Your professional references should be supervisors and/or professors who can offer evidence of your abilities to complete graduate level course work.
- Current MSU Denver Health Care Management students or MSU Denver Health Care Management alumni can request 1 of the 3 required references from Health Care Management faculty and advisor's. The two remaining references should be from other professional sources external to the MSU Denver Health Care Management Program.
5. Submit a Personal Statement Video or Essay
Submit a well-developed 2-3 minute video or 3-5 page personal essay that will help the MHA Admissions Committee evaluate your readiness and capability for graduate education. The personal statement is a critical part of your admission application and will be the basis for evaluation of your writing skills, capacity for self-awareness, and personal growth.
Your statement should address the following topics:
- The significant factors influencing your decision to pursue a Master of Health Administration degree
- Your personal philosophy, values, and professional experiences
- Your career plans and focus in the field of health care
- Your strengths, unique characteristics, and leadership experiences that are relevant to the health care profession
- A time you were given critical feedback and your reaction
- Why you believe the MSU Denver's MHA program is best suited for your educational and professional goals
- How you will manage the rigorous demands of graduate education
- You have the option of including anything else you would like the MHA Admissions Committee to know about you
- If submitting a video, remember that you are submitting a link (URL) to your video (such as on YouTube.com, some other video hosting site, or your own website), not the video itself.
- Do not secure your video with a password. Instead, we recommend that you make the video unlisted. The following descriptions apply to YouTube.com, but should be applicable to other video hosting sites. YouTube has three privacy settings:
- Public, Private, and Unlisted.Public means anybody can find it and view it. Do not use this option.
- Private means it can only be seen by you, and the people you select. The video doesn't appear in your channel or in search results. Viewers you select must have a Google account to log in and see the video, and you must also know to whom to grant permission. Do not use this option.
- Unlisted means that anybody who has the link can view the video, but it doesn't appear in your channel or in search results. Use this option.
- While some personal information is required in the strength (e.g., your strengths), you should be judicious in the use of self-disclosure. You are not expected to disclose intimate details of your life; however, if you choose to do so, you should do so only briefly and make it clear how the issue has been resolved so that you may now succeed in the program and the profession. The Department of Health Professions, Health Care Management, and/or Master of Health Administration faculty, advisors and/or staff will not provide feedback on your personal statement prior to submission.