Skip to main content Skip to main content

Work-Study for Graduate Students

What is Work-Study?

Work-study is an employment program that provides paid jobs (typically on
campus) for students who need to work to earn a portion of their education expenses.  Graduate students maybe eligible to receive federal work-study

Priority work-study funds are allocated first to students that earned work-study in the prior academic year.

Summer work-study is awarded in mid April. A WKSUM form must be turned in to the Office of Financial Aid to be eligible.


What Criteria must be met to receive Work-Study?

Federal Need Based Work-Study Criteria:

  1. You must have completed a FAFSA for the academic year;
  2. Your financial aid file must be complete for the academic year;
  3. You must remain enrolled in at least 3 credits;
  4. You cannot be on financial aid suspension;
  5. You must have an unmet need of at least $3,000 for the academic year;
  6. You must turn in a work-study form confirming your employment.

Things You Should Know About Work-Study

  • Student jobs can be found here
  • As a new Work-Study student, you will be required to provide your supervisor with proof that you are eligible to work in the United States. Please have a photo ID and a Social Security card, birth certificate or U.S. passport when you fill out your new-hire paperwork. If you are a non-citizen, you must have a Social Security card, an I-20 and your student visa to fill out the paperwork. The Office of Human Resources is located in Suite 310 of the Student Success building.
  • If you have not begun a job by the third week of the academic term, your Work-Study award will be cancelled.
  • You cannot earn Work-Study if you are on financial aid suspension.
  • You cannot earn Work-Study if you drop below 3 credit hours.
  • Monitor your earnings. This is your responsibility. If you earn more than your award each semester, the department you work for will be billed for the overpayment.
  • If you are not awarded Work-Study and wish to be considered for this award, you should contact the Office of Financial Aid.

How Much Can I Earn?

The average award for an academic year is $5,000 (this may vary depending on funding). This is based on your available unmet need. The hourly pay ranges from $7.00 to $12.00 per hour.


How Do I Find a Work-Study Job?
Click for MSU Denver Work Study Job Listings


Cancellation or Reduction of Work-Study

Work-Study funds will be canceled if the following occurs:

  • A student does not earn work-study money after three payrolls for the semester;
  • A student drops below 3 credit hours (Any hours earned during the payroll will be charged to the department);
  • A student’s satisfactory academic progress appeal is denied.

Work-Study funds will be reduced if the following occurs:

  • A student receives a scholarship or outside sponsorship award.
    (If a reduction occurs during a payroll and the student over earns, the department will be charged the additional earnings).

Work-Study Supervisors

For policies and procedures regarding work-study employment, please see the Human Resources Website or contact us at the following address, phone, or fax number:

890 Auraria Parkway, Suite 310
Denver, CO 80204
(Student Success Building)

Ph:303 556-3120
Fax:303 556-5151


Edit this page