When emails are flagged by the Office 365 system as potentially malicious, they are automatically quarantined to prevent any potential security risks. When this occurs, users will be sent an email notification that a message has been quarantined. These messages can be reviewed in the Spam Quarantine if needed.
Enter the following URL in your web browser's address bar: https://admin.protection.outlook.com/quarantine
- On the sign-in page, enter your Office 365 user ID and password. Please contact the HelpDesk if you do not remember your credentials.
You are now logged in to the Spam Quarantine. By default, the quarantined messages are sorted from newest to oldest received.
1. Click the Advanced Search button to open the Advanced Search window.
2. Select any combination of the following conditions by checking the associated check box. Please note, wildcards aren't supported (you must search for specific words or phrases).
a. Sender email address Specify the email address of the person who sent the message.
b. Subject Specify the subject line text of the message.
c. Received Specify the time frame in which the message was received. You can select the past 24 hours (Today), 48 hours (Last 2 days), or within the past week (Last 7 days). You can also select a custom time interval.
d. Expires Specify the time frame in which the message will be automatically deleted from quarantine. You can select the past 24 hours (Today), 48 hours (Last 2 days), or within the past week (Last 7 days). You can also select a custom time interval.
3. Click ok to run the advanced search.
NOTE: To clear your search criteria and view all messages in quarantine again, clear all check boxes in the Advanced Search window, then click ok.
After locating a specific quarantined message, you can view details about it by clicking a specific message. A summary of the properties of that message will appear in the details pane on the right side of the screen.
- Type This is always Spam.
- Expires The date when the message will be deleted from the quarantine.
- Sender The email address of the person who sent the message.
- Subject The subject line text of the message.
- Received The date on which the message was received by the quarantine.
- Size The size of the message, in kilobytes (KB). If the message size is greater than 999 KBs, it will be listed in megabytes (MB) instead.
- View message header Click this link to open the message header dialog box, which lets you view the message header text. You can also copy the message header text and paste it into the Message Header Analyzer. Once in the Message Header Analyzer tool, click Analyze headers in order to retrieve information about the header.
If you feel a message has been quarantined in error, you can release that message to your inbox. To do this, select a message, then click the Release Message icon. From the list it gives you, you can select either Release message, or Release message and report as not junk. Choosing to report the message as not junk will send that feedback to the Microsoft Spam Analysis Team.
Once you click OK on the confirmation prompt, if you click the Refresh icon, then double-click the message you opted to release, you should see its status has updated to show it has been released to your inbox.
If you have additional questions, concerns, or need immediate assistance - Please contact the MSU Denver Help Desk.
Revised: July 2016