Davidson to serve on national service commission
November 7, 2017
President Janine Davidson was appointed to the National Commission on Military, National, and Public Service.
Established by the National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2017, the commission is charged
with considering and developing recommendations concerning the need for a military draft and means by which to foster a greater attitude and ethos of service among Americans for public service of all kinds.
“I am honored to have been appointed to this commission and look forward to examining these issues, which I see as vital to our democracy,” she said.
The commission, which includes a former deputy director of the Selective Service, former director of the Peace Corps, former principal deputy national security adviser, and a number of former senior congressional staffers, brings together diverse experiences
from service in the military and public office, on Capitol Hill and with not-for-profit organizations.
Members of the commission
- Edward T. Allard III, former deputy director of the Selective Service System
- Steve Barney, former general counsel to the Senate Armed Service Committee
- Janine Davidson, former under secretary of the Navy and President of Metropolitan State University of Denver
- Mark Gearan, former director of the Peace Corps
- Avril Haines, former principal deputy national security adviser
- Joseph Heck, former member of the House of Representatives (R-NV)
- Jeanette James, former professional staff member of the House Armed Services Committee
- Alan Khazei, founder and chief executive officer of Be the Change Inc.
- Thomas Kilgannon, president of Freedom Alliance
- Shawn Skelly, former director, executive secretariat, U.S. Department of Transportation
- Debra Wada, former assistant secretary of the Army for Manpower and Reserve
The commission intends to issue its final report in late 2019.
Davidson brings her own unique civilian and military perspective to the group. She is a veteran of the U.S. Air Force and has also served in the Pentagon as both the Deputy Assistant Secretary of Defense for Plans and as Undersecretary of the Navy.