Departmental Credit by Examination
DEPARTMENTAL CREDIT BY EXAMINATION INFORMATION
If you have college-level proficiency in certain subject areas, consider this prior learning assessment option as a way to accelerate your academic career.
WHAT ARE DEPARTMENTAL CREDIT BY EXAMS?
Departmental exams are tests that assess a student’s knowledge of the learning objectives and competencies for a MSU Denver course. They are the equivalent of a comprehensive final exam. A student must pass the exam with an 80% grade or higher to receive credit.
HOW MUCH DO DEPARTMENTAL CREDIT BY EXAMS COST?
Students taking a departmental exam for credit are required to pay an assessment fee. As of September 2017, that fee is $379 per course. You must pay PRIOR to taking the exam. This fee is not a part of your tuition bill, will not be included on an MSU Denver tuition statement, and does not qualify for financial aid, although you may use a financial aid refund to pay for it.
WHAT DEPARTMENTAL CREDIT BY EXAMS ARE AVAILABLE AT MSU DENVER?
Currently, MSU Denver offers departmental exams for courses in variety of subjects. Please consult with the Prior Learning Specialist for details.
WHO CAN I TALK TO ABOUT DEPARTMENTAL CREDIT BY EXAMS?
If you would like to talk with someone about how departmental exams can help you fast track your degree, contact the Prior Learning Specialist in the Center for Individualized Learning at firstname.lastname@example.org or call (303-615-0525).
DEPARTMENTAL EXAM INFORMATION
You must meet these requirements to qualify:
No previous collegiate enrollment for a similar course.
Not completed or been enrolled in a more advanced course. This restriction includes courses designated at a higher level (i.e. 1000, 2000, 3000, 4000 within the same subject prefix (e.g. HIS, ENG).
If registered for a course for which this course is a prerequisite, the exam must be completed within the first three weeks of the semester.
Currently enrolled in good standing in a degree or certificate program
WHAT ELSE DO I NEED TO KNOW?
- Examinations cannot be taken to raise grades, to remove failures, or to remove notations that have no effect on the GPA.
- Departmental credit by examination is not applicable toward academic residency requirements, is NOT calculated in the GPA and will be entered on the transcript as the MSU Denver course with a grade notation of EX (credit by examination).
- The hours granted for credit by exam are not included as a part of current semester enrollment. The credit will appear on the transcript for the semester the examination was taken, but the hours do not count as part of the total enrollment for the purposes of financial aid or any other purpose predicated on total hours of enrollment for a given semester.
- If you are planning to transfer to another school, check with your transfer school about the acceptance of departmental credit by examination prior learning credit.
DEPARTMENTAL CREDIT BY EXAMINATION REGISTRATION PROCEDURES
- Meet with the Prior Learning Specialist at the Center for Individualized Learning to determine your eligibility for credit by examination.
- Obtain permission from the course instructor and set up a time with the academic department to take your exam. The Faculty, Department Chair and Dean all must approve and sign the Application for Credit by Examination Form. **Review the policies on this form prior to paying for the exam. If your situation requires a BASE petition or Degree Exception, this must be approved prior to taking the exam.
- Pay for the exam at the Bursar’s Office in the Student Success Building. They will stamp the Application for Credit by Examination Form to show payment has been made.
- Bring the Application for Credit by Examination Form to the department the day of your exam.
- The instructor or academic department will return the form indicating pass or fail to Registrar’s Office to be transcribed on your student record.
For more information, detailed policies and procedures, please visit the MSU Denver online catalog.