MSU Denver’s policies on Prior Learning Assessment (PLA) acknowledge the quality of learning that occurs in the course of military service and that can, under specific circumstances, count as college credit toward a degree.
HOW TO TRANSFER MILITARY CREDITS
WHO: All qualified veterans and service members with a discharge under conditions other than dishonorable are eligible for Military Transfer Credit at Metropolitan State University of Denver.
WHAT: MSU Denver awards an automatic “package” of college credits based on the service member’s length of service, rank, and deployment. *Other credits from military transcripts may be available. See below.
GENERAL STUDIES CREDIT
- E5 and above: ORAL COMMUNICATION REQUIREMENT: 3 credits of Public Speaking SPE 1010 (CAS 1010 starting FALL 2016) for all students who have served at least one enlistment and attained the rank of E5.
- WAIVER (not credit) of the Global Diversity Requirement for all students who deployed abroad in the U.S. military for at least 6 months.
- E4 and below/4 years active duty in U.S. Military: 6 semester hours of lower division elective credit (MILR 8000).
*If for some reason other than a dishonorable discharge, a student did not complete 4 years of service but did complete at least 2 years, 3 semester hours of lower division credit will be granted (MILR 8000).
- E5 and above/two terms of service in U.S. military: In addition to the credits above, 6 semester hours of upper division elective credit (MILR 9000).
WHEN: ASAP after you are accepted so you do not register for unnecessary courses.
*You may also email your DD214 to the Prior Learning Specialist if you are unable to come to campus.
OTHER MILITARY CREDIT POSSIBLITIES
NOTE **You must work with the Prior Learning Specialist, Danielle Forrest (303-615-0525) in the Center for Individualized Learning to receive the below credits.**
JOINT SERVICES TRANSCRIPT
WHAT: The Joint Services Transcript (JST- formerly AARTS/SMART) is a synchronized transcript presenting data and college credit recommendations for military trainings and occupations for the U.S. Army, Marine Corps, Navy, and Coast Guard.
The trainings and occupations have been evaluated by the American Council on Education and the college credit recommendations are listed in detail in the ACE Guide to the Evaluation of Educational Experiences in the Armed Services.
Depending on your specific training and military occupation and your academic goals, additional credits may be applicable to your MSU Denver degree program.
Step 1: Request your current Joint Services transcript
Step 2: Send it to MSU Denver Office of Admissions
Step 3: Meet with Prior Learning Specialist ASAP after acceptance into MSU Denver to determine applicability of credits to your degree program.
Please note: Credit from your JST is not guaranteed and if you are utilizing GI Bill benefits and/or Financial Aid, having all JST credits applied to your student record could negatively impact your eligibility.
Prior Learning Office Location: Center for Individualized Learning, Administration Building Room 360, 303-615-0525. Office hours: Mondays/Wednesdays 10-12, Tuesdays/Thursday 12-2. Also available by appointment including some evening hours.
Questions about Community College of the Air Force (CCAF) credits?
- Request CCAF transcript
- Send it to MSU Denver Office of Admissions
- The Office of Transfer Services will evaluate your credits. If you have questions or would like to pursue additional credit work with the Prior Learning Specialist, Danielle Forrest (303-615-0525).