The Chemistry Department of Metropolitan State University of Denver shall offer chemistry courses of the highest quality to science and non-science majors via formal classroom instruction, laboratory exercises, directed independent study, and online instruction to provide trained chemists capable of entering local and state industries as well as teaching chemistry at the high school level in the Denver metropolitan area or in the state of Colorado.
To provide an environment conducive to learning, chemistry department faculty engage in a variety of professional development activities designed to keep themselves current in their field and/or expand their areas of expertise.
Chemistry department faculty and staff contribute to the community via a variety of service activities and by participating in partnerships and collaborations with public schools and government organizations.
- To enable students to develop an understanding of the fundamental principles of chemistry
- To prepare students for graduate work in chemistry, for chemical careers in industry/ government, and for post-graduate studies in the health sciences
- To offer a high quality concentration in Criminalistics for Chemistry majors who wish to pursue a career in Forensic Science
- To facilitate distance learning by providing a number of courses over the internet
- To maintain the department's approval by the American Chemical Society