For last year's Distinguished Professorship (2016), the Castro Planning Committee worked to develop a site dedicated to curriculum focused on the theme, Nuestro Destinos: (Re)Claiming Space, Identity, Power.
While last year's event is long over, the curriculum still stands and is meant to be utilized by academics of various disciplines. The focus is on race/ethnicity in the United States specific to Chican@ identities and experiences. The following themes are explored within the provided curriculum:
- Race/Ethnicity and Latin@s in the U.S.
- Gentrification and its impact on Latin@ communities in the U.S.
- Colonialism and its influence on identity
- The social construction of race/ethnicity specific to Latin@s
- The gendered/sexed aspect of colonial rule over Latin@s
- Citizenship and the Latin@ trajectory in the U.S.
Please visit our curriculum site by clicking on the button below!