How to Join the PFT
How to Join
To be on the Flight Team you must be enrolled in MSU Denver’s aviation and aerospace program, and take the Precision Flight and Navigation. You also must be available for the practices which are held usually on the weekends.
Team members are chosen for competition based on their participation in class/practice and how well the student does in an event (or events). If you are chosen to compete, you must be available for the regional and national competitions. This means a commitment to extra time for practice/competition as well as extra expense for aircraft rental and travel to/from practice or competitions. If you plan to compete, please consider how you will budget time and money for these expenses.
Even if you are not selected for competition, you benefit from participating on the team. The practices and classroom activities will prove invaluable to you as you pursue a career in professional piloting. So even if you are unsure of your ability to compete, or you do not have your Pilot Certificate yet (but are working toward it), please consider joining.
- Opportunity to sharpen many of your pilot skills
- Opportunity for you to make a name for yourself nationally
- Two annual scholarships awarded in December
- Camaraderie with fellow students at MSU Denver and across the nation
To Join, You Must…
- Enroll at MSU Denver in at least 6 credit hours outside of Flight Team
- Join the Aviation and Aerospace Science Department and maintain a GPA of 2.5 or higher
- Completion of AES 1100 or have a private pilot certificate
- Apply to the Flight Team and successfully complete an entrance interview
- Sign up for the Precision Flight and Navigation course
- Abide by the NIFA Rules and Aviation and Aerospace Science Department by-laws
Your first 3 semester will earn you 6 credit hours. The break-down is like this:
- AES2330: 3 credit hours- taken the first semester
- AES3330: 2 credit hours- taken the second semester
- AES3340: 1 credit hour- taken the third semester
After that, you sign up for the lab (no additional credit awarded).