Service learning info for Community Partners
Community Based Organizations have offered their suggestions for successful partnerships. Several resources are listed below.
Principles of Good Community-Campus Partnerships (From Campus-Community Partnerships for Health)
- Partners have agreed upon mission, values, goals, and measurable outcomes for the partnership.
- The relationship between partners is characterized by mutual trust, respect, genuineness, and commitment.
- The partnership builds upon identified strengths an assets, but also addresses areas that need improvement.
- The partnership balances power among partners and enables resources among partners to be shared.
- There is a clear, open and accessible communication between partners, making it an ongoing priority to listen to each need, develop a common language, and validate/clarify the meaning of terms.
- Roles, norms, and processes for the partnership are established with the input and agreement of all partners.
- There is feedback to, among, and from all stakeholders in the partnership, with the goals of continuously improving the partnership and its outcomes.
- Partners share the credit for the partnership's accomplishments.
- Partnerships take time to develop and evolve over time.
Community Partners Service Learning Handbook - MSU Denver handbook.
Community Standards for Service Learning- this is a good summary in a brief "leaflet" format.
Connecting Communities with Colleges and Universities - this is a longer document for those of you who want a deeper dive.