Advisor Training at MSU Denver
Training opportunities for advisors at MSU Denver come in all shapes and sizes. The Advising Systems office works to synthesize these opportunities - alerting advisors to institutional offerings, developing and facilitating advising community-wide training events, and partnering with departments to customize as needs arise. In doing so, the Advising Systems office strives to support advisors as they develop their information, relational, and conceptual understanding of the profession at the national, regional, and institutional levels.
New members of the advising community at MSU Denver have access to a wealth of training opportunities and materials developed within Advising Systems. These opportunities and materials are available to professional staff advisors, faculty advisors, program coordinators, and more.
Online, In-Person, Shadowing, and More
Onboarding advisors across an institution as large as MSU Denver takes skill and coordination. That's why MSU Denver has chosen to adopt a series of online training modules aimed at educating advisors on the basics, and exposing them to new ideas, concepts, and connections on campus. New advisors access the online training modules through the Advising Handbook linked from the Faculty and Staff Hub. The framework laid by the online training modules is then built upon by in-person training, shadowing, and opportunities to meet with departments across campus for an in-depth look at the student experience.
The Advising Coordinator for Training and Development works in partnership with the advising lead in each academic program area (or student support area, in some cases) to detail the level of engagement a new advisor needs to have with the online material as well as departmental visits.
Connect with Advising Systems To Get Started
Supervisors: If you are anticipating a new advising member within your area (or they've already started), please connect with the Advising Coordinator for Training and Development to map out potential training opportunities.
New Advisors: If you are a new advisor (professional advisor or faculty advisor) on campus and have not been connected with the Advising Coordinator for Training and Development through your supervisor, please reach out to get started.
Advising Coordinator for Training and Development
After an initial training period, advisors continue to receive training and have frequent opportunities to check in and learn from the advising community. Training is provided through:
Monthly All-Advisor Meetings
Advisors come together monthly to engage in professional development topics and trainings. Meetings are open to advisors and success coaches across colleges, schools, and student service departments. Examples of past trainings include:
- Transfer Topics
- Integrative Academic and Career Advising
- Exploration Days: Utilizing True Colors
Department or College Specific Trainings
At the request of a particular college, school, or department, members of the Advising Systems team may engage advisors in professional development topics and trainings. Examples of past trainings include:
- Appreciative Advising as an Approach
- Assessing Student Learning Outcomes Associated with Advising
Tool or Process Specific Trainings
Often, Advising Systems is asked to present to the advising community as a whole, or a particular college, school, or department, on advising tools and new processes. Examples of past trainings include:
- Faculty Facing: Using SSC To Showcase Advising Interaction
- Utilizing MSU Denver's Student-Facing Mobile App in Advising
- Reviewing Graduation Processes with the Office of the Registrar
MSU Denver utilizes a number of advising technology tools, both advisor facing and student facing. Read on for additional information about each tool as well as how to secure access, receive training, and report issues.
Note: Advising Systems is not responsible for providing access to any of the advising facing tools listed below. For access that requires a Banner component, be sure to submit an IT ticket. For access that requires Banner AND a secondary form, please ensure the form is submitted to the correct office. If an issue does arise with one of the tools, please submit an IT ticket - doing so ensures the information is routed correctly and addressed in a timely manner.
Advisor Facing Technology
- Degree Progress Reports
- There are trained trainers in each academic department on campus available to provide one-on-one new user training for both CAPP and Degree Works. If those trainers are not available, contact the Advising Coordinator for Training & Development within the Advising Systems office.
- Degree Works requires specific Banner access (via an IT ticket) and a secondary form, included here and submitted to the Office of the Registrar. Access is granted to those who serve in an advising capacity at MSU Denver.
- Student Success Collaborative Navigate
- There are trained trainers in each academic department on campus available to provide one-on-one new user training for SSC Navigate. If those trainers are not available, contact the Advising Coordinator for Training & Development within the Advising Systems office.
- Access is initiated by the Banner set up. If Banner access is up and running, and SSC Navigate is not, complete an IT ticket to request access.
- Banner training is covered within each department, though a general overview may be provided by the Advising Coordinator for Training & Development.
- Access to Banner is initiated by an individual's supervisor through an IT ticket.
Student Facing Technology
- Degree Progress Reports
- Students access their degree progress report from the Student Hub, which utilizes a single sign on.
- Student Hub
- Student Hub is the interface for students for everything from Blackboard, to email, to course registration, to Financial Aid information. Student Hub utilizes the MSU Denver single sign on, and students should become very familiar with this interface.
- Class Scheduler
- Class Scheduler utilizes the MSU Denver single sign on and allows students to mock up course schedules before sending them to a shopping cart for registration. (Advisors may access Class Scheduler "Guest Mode" via the Faculty and Advisor Menu in Self Service Banner in an effort to better understand the tool.) The Office of the Registrar maintains helpful resources for Class Scheduler, and Advising Systems has produced a screencast covering the basics, linked here.
- Student Success Collaborative Navigate Mobile App
- SSC Navigate Mobile is a student facing mobile application that students can customize to send push notifications when campus dates and deadlines are approaching – keeping them aware of campus resources and events.
Viewable and printable training materials to use and share with colleagues
- Getting Started with Banner 9: An Overview of the User Interface and Keyboard Shortcuts
- Banner Keyboard Shortcuts
- Banner Cheat Sheet
- Banner Pages Commonly Used in Advising
Student Success Collaborative
- Student Success Collaborative - User Manual
- Academic Planner
- SSC - Academic Planner: An Introduction
- SSC - Academic Planner: Advisor View (Print)
- SSC - Academic Planner: Advisor View (Video)
- SSC - Academic Planner: Student View (Print)
- SSC - Academic Planner: Student View (Video)
- Scheduling and Appointments
- Appointment Campaigns
- SSC - Building and Issuing an Appointment Campaign
- SSC - Building and Issuing the General Studies Hold Campaign
- SSC - Building General Studies Hold List for Tracking Spreadsheet
- Adding,Overlaying, and Referencing the Advising Campaign Calendar in Outlook
- SSC - Reissuing An Active Campaign For Students Who've Not Responded
- SSC - Associating Eligible Appointments and Documentation With a Campaign
- Lists and Searches
- Using Advanced Filters
- Saving a Search
- Creating OR Uploading a Watch List
- Alerts and Cases
- Running SSC Reports Associated with Early Alert
- Responding to and/or Closing a Case
- Appointment Stats
- Students With/Without Appointments
- Students By Category and Course
- Event Attendance From the Kiosk
- Using SSC Data Outside the Platform
- Exporting and Uploading to Digital Measures