Skip to main content Skip to main content

Transfer Student Frequently Asked Questions

Q1. What are your admission requirements?

Find information about our "modified open" admissions requirements here.

Q2. Do I need to take the assessment tests?

If you have successfully completed college preparatory or equivalent courses or scored at certain level on the ACT or SAT in the last five years, you may not need to take the tests. Call 303-556-3774 or stop by the Transfer Services Office for more information and assistance. You can also click here for more information on assessment testing.

Q3. Do I need to take an Orientation session, and if so, how do I sign up for it?

All new students to the University, except for non-degree seeking students, are required to complete an Orientation session prior to being able to register for classes. Click here for information on how to sign up for an Orientation session.

Q4. Who will help me register for classes?

If you've already been accepted to MSU Denver and have completed any necessary assessment tests and an Orientation session, your next step is to meet with either an academic advisor or a faculty advisor.  They will review all your previously earned credit, how it applies to your degree plan, and provide recommendations for registration.  After meeting with your advisor, you will register through the MSU Denver Student Hub by clicking on the “Register” block.

Q5. Will my credits transfer to MSU Denver?

MSU Denver will accept transfer credit only from institutions of higher education holding full regional accreditation. To find out if your previous college or university is regionally accredited, please contact the Transfer Services Office at 303-556-3774.

We will accept a maximum of 64 semester hours from two-year colleges and up to 90 semester hours from four-year institutions, or from a combination of two-year and four-year institutions. Transfer credit is accepted only for those classes in which a grade of “C-” or better is earned and in which class content is similar to that of coursework offered at MSU Denver. Your GPA at MSU Denver will not include your grades from previous institutions.

Q6. I have copies of my transcripts; how do I find out how many of my credits will transfer to MSU Denver?

Bring any previous college transcripts to the Transfer Services Office in Student Success Building, room 180 (no appointment necessary), for a preliminary transfer evaluation. This is an unofficial evaluation that will provide you with information about which of your courses may be accepted. The preliminary evaluation is subject to change upon completion of your official evaluation.

Q7. How do I get an official transfer evaluation?

In order to receive an official evaluation and have your college credit transferred to MSU Denver, you must be admitted as a degree-seeking student and request that official transcripts from each institution attended be mailed to:

Metropolitan State University of Denver
Office of Admissions
Campus Box 16, P.O. Box 173362
Denver, CO 80217

Once you've been accepted to MSU Denver as a degree-seeking student and we've received your official transcript, we will email and mail you an official transfer credit evaluation within 7 to 10 days. If you don't receive one within this time frame, please contact the Transfer Services Office at 303-556-3774.

Q8. I already have a bachelor’s degree, and I want to get a second degree at MSU Denver. What do I need to do?

You will need to be admitted as a degree-seeking student and have official transcripts mailed directly to the Office of Admissions. Once we receive your official transcripts, and if we recognize your first degree, we will award you a block of 90 semester hours; your transcripts will not be evaluated on a course-by-course basis. To determine what courses are required to complete a second degree, take a copy of your transcripts to your major department for advising.

Q9. If I apply as a non-degree seeking student, do I need to send my official transcripts?

The non-degree seeking student classification meets the needs of students 20 years of age or older who wish to take college courses but who do not intend to work toward a baccalaureate degree at MSU Denver. Non-degree seeking students must have graduated from high school or received a GED to qualify for admission. Please note that non-degree seeking students are not eligible for financial aid and once we receive official transcripts, we will not evaluate them. If you would like to change to degree seeking, complete and submit a Status Change Request Form to the Office of Admissions.

Q10. What is the Colorado Community College Common Core Curriculum?

The Transfer Core Program is a subset of general education courses offered by a community/junior college to meet the Associate of Arts (AA), Associate of Science (AS) or Associate of General Studies (AGS) degree. When the required general education courses have been satisfactorily completed, the transcript is marked accordingly and the completed program will transfer to most four-year, public institutions in Colorado for meeting the lower-division general education requirements. However, certain majors may require additional general education courses. Students can transfer using the Community College Transfer Core Program through Summer 2005.

Q11. What is gtPathways?

Colorado’s Statewide Guaranteed Transfer Program is a set of general education courses that are guaranteed to transfer to any public four-year college or university in the state. The receiving institution shall apply guaranteed general education courses to a student’s general education or major requirements (up to 37 credits of “C-” or better completed general education coursework). For more information regarding this program, visit the Colorado Commission on Higher Education (CCHE) website.

Q12. I have a course that didn't transfer to MSU Denver or I don't agree with my official transfer credit evaluation. What do I do?

You need to take a copy of your transcript from the other school that shows the course, the course description, as well as a Transfer Course Approval Form to the academic department at MSU Denver that offers the course. If they feel that the course is equivalent to a MSU Denver course, they will fill out and submit the acceptability form to the Transfer Services Office.  If you have questions regarding your official transfer credit evaluation, please contact the transfer evaluator who completed your evaluation.  Their name and contact information is located on the letter that accompanied your official transfer evaluation. 

Q13.  Do my transfer credits expire?

Presently, for most courses, there is no time limit on the transferability of them from other institutions, meaning that MSU Denver will accept your credits no matter how old they are. However, there are some exceptions to this such as education, computer science, English 1020, and math courses.

Q14. How do I file a student complaint about my transfer credits?

Please refer to Q13 (question 13) for appealing transfer course decisions.

You may also contact a Transfer Admissions Counselor or submit a complaint via the Colorado Department of Higher Education.

Still have questions?

Please contact us:

Transfer Services Office

Edit this page