Skip to main content Skip to main content

Requesting a Username (NetID) Change

The display name for your various MSU Denver accounts (e.g. the part of your email address that appears before the is called your NetID (Network ID). Changing an NetID can have some serious complications, such as loss of coursework, corruption of student records, missing email information (calendars, address book, etc.), and/or missed emails. In addition, any email sent to your old email address will be returned to sender stating there is no such address. Therefore, there must be a legal or urgent reason such as marriage or other legal name change, or the fact that the NetID spells a profane or socially unacceptable word or name, before the NetID will be changed.

  • Note: For students and faculty, it is standard practice that NetID changes only be processed after grades for the semester have posted to help avoid some of the possible complications.
  • After a legal name change, including marriage, you must first obtain a new Social Security Card that displays your new name. If you are a student and your name has changed, you must take the new Social Security Card to the Registrar’s Office in SSB 160 to request your name be changed in the system. If you are a faculty or staff member and your name has changed, you must take the new Social Security Card to Human Resources in SSB 310 to request your name be changed in the system. Only after your name has been officially updated in Banner can we begin the process to change your NetID.
  • Please be aware of the following:
    • This process may take up to 48 hours to complete. During this time period, you will have no access to services that require your NetID.

    • Your new NetID will be automatically chosen by the system, based on your name as it appears in the school's database. There is no way for you to be able to choose what it will be.

    • Emails sent to or from your MSU Denver Office 365 email account during the process may be lost.

  • If you have read and understand the implications, and would still like to have your NetID changed, you will need to submit a HelpDesk ticket stating: 1) your request, 2) that you understand the implications and 3) that you would like to proceed with the NetID change.

Further Assistance

If you have additional questions, concerns, or need immediate assistance - Please contact the MSU Denver Help Desk

Revised: August 2018