Requesting a NetID (Username) Change
The display name for your various MSU Denver accounts (e.g. the part of your email address that appears before the @msudenver.edu) is called your NetID (Network ID). Changing a NetID can have some serious complications, including loss of coursework, corruption of student records, loss of email information (calendars, address book, etc.), and loss of emails. Additionally, any email sent to your old email address will be returned to sender stating there is no such address. Therefore, there must be a legal or urgent reason—such as a legal name change due to marriage or other reasons, or if the NetID is profane, illegible, or socially unacceptable—before the NetID will be changed.
After a legal name change, you must first obtain a new Social Security Card that displays your new name. If you are a student and your name has changed, you must take the new Social Security Card to the Registrar’s Office in SSB 160 to request your name be changed in the system. If you are a faculty or staff member and your name has changed, you must take the new Social Security Card to Human Resources in SSB 310 to request your name be changed in the system. Only after your name has been officially updated in Banner can we begin the process to change your NetID.
Please be aware of the following:
- Due to the potential for loss of academic information, we do not process NetID changes for any student or faculty while they are taking or teaching classes. Anyone associated with an active, current-semester course must wait until after grades have been posted for the semester before submitting a change request.
- We anticipate this process taking up to a week to complete. We will contact you by phone when the process is complete to provide your new NetID and confirm you are able to log in to your MSU Denver accounts with the new information. We cannot provide login information via voicemail or email.
- Your new NetID will be generated automatically based on your name as it appears in the University database.
- During this process, you may lose access to MSU Denver web services, including email, Blackboard, and the Employee Services/Student main menu.
- Your existing emails will be migrated as part of this process. However, any emails sent or received by your MSU Denver account during the transition period may be lost.
If you have read and understand the implications, and would still like to have your NetID changed, you will need to submit a HelpDesk ticket stating:
- Your request.
- That you understand the above implications.
- That you would like to proceed with a NetID change.
Last Update: March 2019
If you have additional questions, concerns, or need immediate assistance - Please contact the MSU Denver Helpdesk.