The Department of Theatre at Metropolitan State University of Denver (MSU Denver) provides educational opportunities grounded in strong liberal arts traditions for a diverse urban population. The work of MSU Denver theatre students, faculty and staff has earned local and regional awards and recognition.
These achievements result from the department’s fundamental commitment to excellence and the belief that theatre is an inclusive experience. We foster the concept of ensemble—everyone’s work is significant and essential. Our department philosophy is Theatre is Equipment for Living, because an education in theatre develops skills that will support students in a multitude of professions.
The Department of Theatre offers students the following opportunities:
- Perform in class and participate in four major productions each year, including two musicals produced in collaboration with the Department of Music.
- Work and perform in the King Center performing arts complex, one of the most accessible and adaptive performance facilities in the nation.
- Attend, network at, compete in and showcase your work at a variety of local, regional and national conferences for theatre and performing arts students.
- Intern with various organizations and productions (some involve performance tours) that can serve as stepping-stones to employment and professional careers.
- Be mentored by accomplished theatre professionals who can help you become a well-rounded, professionally prepared technician or performer.
- Consider membership in the Stage Combat Club, the Theatre Tech Club or the Alpha Gamma Beta chapter of the Alpha Psi Omega National Theatre Honor Society.
Students seeking a minor in theatre at MSU Denver complete a total of 25 semester hours in the Department of Theatre: 16 semester hours of required courses and 9 semester hours of theatre electives. Other graduation requirements apply.
— Marcelina Ramiriz, student (theatre minor 2016)
Introduction to Theatre
Acting I, II and III
Introduction to Stagecraft
The Speaking Voice in Performance
Performance of Literature I and II
Theatre Improvisation Techniques
Introduction to Scene Design
Applied Scene Technology
Advanced Scene Design
Theatre: Practicum I and II
Music Theatre History and Performance
The Department of Theatre at MSU Denver is accredited by the National Association of Schools of Theatre, the national accrediting agency for theatre and theatre-related disciplines.
BACK TO ACADEMIC PROGRAMS
Mon-Thurs: 8:00 a.m. – 5:30 p.m.
Friday: 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Admissions and Transfer Counselors are available on a walk-in basis.