Bachelor of Arts
The Bachelor of Arts (BA) degree program in recreation professions at Metropolitan State University of Denver (MSU Denver) prepares students to be skilled recreation professionals and leaders through diverse, multidisciplinary classroom instruction and practical experiences. Graduating students work toward creating healthy, livable and sustainable communities by supporting recreation throughout Colorado and the nation.
Students in the recreation professions degree program choose from the following concentrations:
- Recreation management
- Therapeutic recreation
- Recreation generalist
The BA in recreation professions is an extended major that requires 41–45 core course credits and a minimum of 120 semester hours for graduation; no minor is required to complement the major.
Students majoring in another discipline may elect to complete a minor in recreation professions.
8:00 a.m. – 5:30 p.m.
8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Admissions and Transfer Counselors are available on a walk-in basis.
Benefits of Earning Your Degree at MSU Denver
The Department of Health Professions delivers the academic content you expect from a bachelor’s degree program while also offering everything that’s distinctive about MSU Denver and its relationship with our region’s recreation community. Students have the advantage of the following unique opportunities:
- Enjoy attending classes on a vibrant and diverse campus located in downtown Denver.
- Benefit from small classes and accessible, supportive faculty with real-world experience.
- Tailor your degree plan by choosing the concentration that best fits your career goals.
- Get valuable hands-on experience through varied internship and volunteer opportunities.
- Earn your degree through the only COAPRT-accredited recreational program in Colorado.
- Prepare for national certification exams in parks and recreation or therapeutic recreation.
- Participate in our active student club as well as in a variety of extracurricular activities.
Career Opportunities for Our Graduates
Earning a degree in recreation professions from MSU Denver prepares students for graduate studies or for a variety of careers, such as:
- Recreation facility director
- Aquatics supervisor
- Cruise ship activity director
- Camp director or counselor
- Resort manager
- Park ranger or superintendent
- Festival director
- Outdoor recreation planner
- Armed forces recreation administrator
- Therapeutic recreation specialist
Some careers may require further education, certification or training.
Hear from our students:
“This program not only helps you learn the proper skills to be successful in this career, but it also helps you gain powerful and long-lasting connections with people from all corners of the field. The professors take the time to get to know each student individually and help them succeed. I recommend this degree to anyone who loves to have fun and spend time with people. This field is so rewarding.”
—Austin (BA in recreation professions 2016)
Alumni at Work
Graduates of the recreation professions program find jobs in municipal agencies, military organizations, commercial recreation settings such as theme parks and resorts, clinical facilities (e.g., long-term care and rehab), outdoor camps, universities, parks and nonprofit agencies and programs such as the Boys & Girls Clubs of America.
Recreation Leadership Skills and Techniques
Program Development in Recreation Services
Design and Maintenance of Recreation and Park Resources
Issues and Trends in Therapeutic Recreation
Management of Aquatic Resources
Contemporary Issues in Recreation and Parks
Managing Outdoor Recreation Programs
Sport in Society
Play Across Cultures
The bachelor degree program in recreation professions at MSU Denver is accredited by the Council on Accreditation for Parks, Recreation, Tourism, and Related Professions (COAPRT) and by the Higher Learning Commission (HLC).