Bachelor of Arts
The Bachelor of Arts (BA) in political science degree program at Metropolitan State University of Denver (MSU Denver) offers the study of government, public policy and the political behavior of individuals and groups at all levels of community life.
Students working toward a BA in political science acquire critical skills in analysis and communication that allow them to think independently and tolerantly about current affairs in our diverse world. By employing humanistic and scientific perspectives to study nations and their subdivisions, as well as regions of the world and international relations, students gain an understanding of the complexities inherent in American national government and world affairs.
Students seeking a BA in political science at MSU Denver complete 36 semester hours (12 courses) in the Department of Political Science and select one of the following concentrations:
- United States Politics
- International Politics
Students also may choose to obtain Colorado licensure for secondary education in social studies congruently with earning their BA in political science. Other graduation requirements apply.
Benefits of Earning Your Degree at MSU Denver
The Department of Political Science delivers all the academic content you expect from a BA program while also bringing to the table everything that’s unique about MSU Denver’s people and Denver’s political community. Students here have the advantage of the following unique opportunities:
- Enjoy attending classes on a vibrant and diverse downtown campus that’s located only minutes from the Colorado Capitol Building.
- Benefit from small classes, extensive interaction with faculty dedicated to your success and the convenience of evening course options.
- Participate in a variety of special activities, including prelaw advising and an educational summer program in Washington, D.C.
- Join MSU Denver student chapters of the National Political Science Honor Society (ΠΣΑ) and the Political Science Association.
- Learn and work in the Golda Meir Center for Political Leadership, a nonpartisan educational project that gives international visibility to MSU Denver.
- Get involved in co-curricular projects sponsored by the department, such as the Model Arab League and the Model United Nations.
- Intern with various organizations that can serve as stepping stones to employment and jumpstart your professional career in political science.
Career Opportunities for Our Graduates
Earning a BA in political science from MSU Denver prepares students for further graduate studies or for careers in public and private sectors including state, local and federal governments and their agencies; public policy; law; business; journalism; foreign service and international organizations; and secondary and college education.
Our graduates have gone on to work as lawyers, public officials, policy analysts, lobbyists, consultants, teachers, professors, campaign managers, reporters and more. Some professions may require a graduate degree or other training.
-Jennifer Rystrom (BA in political science ’14)
American National Government
Political Systems and Ideas
Conducting Political Analysis
Introduction to International Relations
Introduction to Public Administration
American Constitutional Law
International Political Economy
Readings in Washington Politics
Political science degree programs at MSU Denver are part of the university’s overall accreditation with the Higher Learning Commission (HLC).
BACK TO ACADEMIC PROGRAMS
Mon-Thurs: 8:00 a.m. – 5:30 p.m.
Friday: 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Admissions and Transfer Counselors are available on a walk-in basis.