Bachelor of Music
The Bachelor of Music (BM) program at Metropolitan State University of Denver (MSU Denver) is a professional degree program.
The Department of Music strives to cultivate confident, creative and skilled musicians and to serve as a leader in the education of professional performers, teachers, composers and scholars.
Through public performances and educational outreach, our students, faculty and guest artists create opportunities for public access to excellence in the arts, thus promoting the cultural life of the college and the surrounding region.
Students seeking a BM degree at MSU Denver choose from one of the following concentrations:
- Voice performance
- Instrumental performance
- Jazz and American Improvised Music Performance
Students also may pursue a minor outside the Department of Music, though it is not required for the degree.
Benefits of Earning Your Degree at MSU Denver
- Learn from our internationally recognized faculty of performers and scholars with real-world professional experience and dedication to your success.
- Receive private studio instruction, available in both classical and jazz traditions, for voice, piano, guitar, woodwinds, brass, percussion and strings.
- Work and perform at the King Center performing arts complex, one of the most dynamic and revered performance facilities in the nation.
- Intern with organizations like the Colorado Symphony Orchestra, which serve as steppingstones to employment and professional careers.
- Gain diverse performing experience by joining one of 23 ensembles, including orchestras, bands, choirs, jazz bands and combos, African drumming and Balinese gamelan, as well as a wide variety of chamber ensembles.
- Save by attending one of the most affordable programs in the state at a university that’s listed by Forbes as one of the best for return on investment.
Career Opportunities for Our Graduates
The BM degree prepares students for further graduate studies or for careers as performers, composers or private studio teachers. It provides a foundation for developing careers in music business, arts administration and other arts-related specialties.
Music students also find employment in computer-related fields that draw upon their experience with music technology and the mental disciplines learned in music theory.
Hear from our students:
“The music program at MSU Denver gave me an in-depth education in areas like music theory and musicology, which helped prepare me for graduate school and for a career as a music teacher. As a student, I gained great performing experience by playing with MSU Denver’s wind ensemble, the symphony orchestra and the jazz combos.”
—Samuel Young (BM in composition, 2009)
Alumni at Work
Organizations that have hired graduates from the MSU Denver BM program include the Miami Lyric Opera, the University of Denver and more. Other students have gone on to pursue graduate studies at the Peabody Institute, the University of Denver, the University of Colorado Boulder and others.
Choral and Instrumental Conducting
Arranging and Orchestration
Brass Techniques and Pedagogy
Ensemble (23 options)
MSU Denver is an accredited member of the National Association of Schools of Music.