Bachelor of Arts
The Bachelor of Arts (BA) in music program at Metropolitan State University of Denver (MSU Denver) is a degree with a liberal arts focus.
The Department of Music strives to cultivate confident, creative and skilled musicians and to serve as a leader in the education of professional performers, teachers, composers and scholars.
Through public performances and educational outreach, our students, faculty and guest artists create opportunities for public access to excellence in the arts, thus promoting the cultural life of the college and the surrounding region.
Students seeking a BA in music degree at MSU Denver complete 33 semester hours of core music courses, 16 semester hours of degree-specific courses and 33 hours of general-studies courses. Students also are required to choose a minor in another field to graduate.
8:00 a.m. – 5:30 p.m.
8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Admissions and Transfer Counselors are available on a walk-in basis.
Benefits of Earning Your Degree at MSU Denver
• Learn from our internationally recognized faculty of performers and scholars with real-world professional experience and dedication to your success.
• Receive private studio instruction, available in both classical and jazz traditions, for voice, piano, guitar, woodwinds, brass, percussion and strings.
• Work and perform at the King Center performing arts complex, one of the most dynamic and revered performance facilities in the nation.
• Intern with organizations like the Colorado Symphony Orchestra, which serve as steppingstones to employment and professional careers.
• Gain diverse performing experience by joining one of 23 ensembles, including orchestras, bands, choirs, jazz bands and combos, African drumming and Balinese gamelan, as well as a wide variety of chamber ensembles.
• Save by attending one of the most affordable programs in the state at a university that’s listed by Forbes as one of the best for return on investment.
Career Opportunities for Our Graduates
The BA in music degree prepares students for further graduate studies in fields such as musicology, ethnomusicology or theory; for careers as private instructors or music entrepreneurs; or for jobs in arts management and other fields that require musical expertise.
Hear from our students:
“Earning my BA in music has helped with my career as a musician by giving me the knowledge to play almost any instrument I pick up and read music at a very high level. It really set me up to be a responsible professional in my field. I believe that the most unique and beneficial part of earning my degree at MSU Denver is the faculty. Every single member of the music faculty has helped me in one way or another. The best part about all of it was that they truly cared about my education and went above and beyond to facilitate my learning. I feel it truly helped me mature and develop as a musician. I have recommended MSU Denver to others to get their degree because not only does it have the best music faculty I have ever seen, but it is the only university that I know of that really aims at preparing their students for the future after college, not just what classes they need to take to get a degree.”
—Cory Golon (BA in Music, 2015)
Ensemble (23 options)
MSU Denver is an accredited member of the National Association of Schools of Music.