Individualized Degree Program
Special Academic Program
The Individualized Degree Program (IDP) at Metropolitan State University of Denver (MSU Denver) offers students the opportunity to propose a major or minor specifically designed to meet their educational goals when they cannot be met by formal curricula described in the current catalog.
Students who are interested in the IDP must meet with one of our advisors before gaining acceptance into the program. Students then choose one of the following paths:
• IDP major—requires a minimum of 40 credit hours and a non-IDP minor.
• IDP extended major—requires a minimum of 60 credit hours; no minor is required.
• IDP minor—requires a minimum of 20 credit hours.
Other graduation requirements apply, including those for general studies, multicultural studies and others.
Benefits of Earning Your Degree at MSU Denver
Students in the IDP have the following unique opportunities:
• Design your own major or minor by combining courses across disciplinary boundaries.
• Use transfer credit and military training that may not fit in traditional major or minor programs.
• Reflect on your life and career goals, and articulate how the IDP supports them.
• Gain skills in negotiation and self-advocacy as you develop your IDP proposal.
Career Opportunities for Our Graduates
IDP graduates find careers in a wide variety of fields that can include:
• International studies
• Computer-game development
• Emergency-services management
• Middle Eastern studies
• Community bilingual education
• Asian studies
• Inequality and social justice
• Cultural-resources management
• Advocacy and services for the disabled
• Youth and family advocacy
• American studies
• Social documentary
• Integrated liberal arts for museum studies
• International business
• Foreign affairs
• And many more
— LeRita Cavness (BA in individualized studies: empowering youth for healthy communities, 2015)
The individualized studies degrees at MSU Denver are accredited by the Higher Learning Commission.
BACK TO ACADEMIC PROGRAMS
Mon-Thurs: 8:00 a.m. – 5:30 p.m.
Friday: 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Admissions and Transfer Counselors are available on a walk-in basis.