Hospitality, Tourism and Events
Bachelor of Arts
The Bachelor of Arts (BA) degree program in Hospitality, Tourism and Events (HTE) at Metropolitan State University of Denver (MSU Denver) is among the country’s most innovative. The BA in HTE is offered in the context of an on-campus hotel/learning laboratory specifically designed to prepare you to take your place as a leader in the hotel, restaurant, tourism and
As an HTE major, you will have the opportunity to study and get hands-on training in all aspects of hospitality, from cooking in MSU Denver’s own student-run restaurant to working in our SpringHill Suites Denver Downtown hotel. You will learn hospitality-management fundamentals so that after graduation you will be fully prepared for operations and management positions in HTE-related industries.
Students working toward a BA in HTE choose from the following concentrations:
• Hotel Management
• Restaurant Management
• Tourism Management
• Events Management
Benefits of Earning Your Degree at MSU Denver
Earning your BA in HTE from MSU Denver offers the following unique advantages:
• Study on a vibrant campus in downtown Denver, the heart of Colorado’s hospitality industry.
• Learn in one of only 11 campus-based teaching hotels in the U.S. and the only one in Colorado.
• Benefit from small classes where you will get personal attention; the average class size is 32.
• Enjoy guidance from industry-experienced faculty members who are dedicated to your success.
• Get involved in a variety of industry-related professional organizations for students on campus.
• Volunteer in high-profile settings in conjunction with local chapters of professional associations.
• Become a certified sommelier through International Sommelier Guild classes right on campus.
• Study abroad in locations such as the Caribbean, the Czech Republic and Argentina.
• Complete a hospitality internship or work at first-class hotels and venues in downtown Denver.
• Get hands-on experience in our award-winning Hospitality Learning Center, a spacious academic
building and learning laboratory that includes:
• The SpringHill Suites Denver Downtown, a fully functioning hotel with 150 rooms
• The Metropolitan Grill, a 72-seat student-run restaurant with mixology stations
• The J. Willard and Alice S. Marriott Foundation Conference Center
• A modern wine and beer sensory-analysis lab and high-tech demonstration kitchen
Career Opportunities for Our Graduates
Because of the quality of MSU Denver’s HTE alumni, our BA in HTE degree program has an excellent reputation in the Colorado hospitality industry. HTE graduates can leave campus with fulltime jobs earning starting annual salaries that range from $30,000 to $45,000.
—Ari Lewis (BA Hospitality, Tourism and Events, Hotel and Restaurant Concentration 2005)
Introduction to Hospitality, Tourism and Events
Managerial Accounting for Hospitality
Event Catering Strategies
The BA degree program in HTE at MSU Denver is accredited through Colorado Department of Higher Education (CDHE).
BACK TO ACADEMIC PROGRAMS
Mon-Thurs: 8:00 a.m. – 5:30 p.m.
Friday: 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Admissions and Transfer Counselors are available on a walk-in basis.