Bachelor of Arts
The Bachelor of Arts (BA) degree program in Communication Studies at Metropolitan State University of Denver (MSU Denver) offers a diverse curriculum of introductory, advanced and collaborative teacher/learner-centered courses.
Grounded in liberal arts tradition, the Department of Communication Arts and Sciences (CAS) partners with public schools, businesses, media organizations, health-care agencies and nonprofit organizations to help prepare students for graduate school, employment and personal and aesthetic development.
Students seeking a BA in Communication Studies may choose from the following emphases:
• Communication Theory
• Organizational Communication
• Rhetoric and Public Address
Benefits of Earning Your Degree at MSU Denver
CAS delivers all the academic content you expect from a BA program while also bringing to the table everything that’s unique about MSU Denver’s people and the Denver communications community. CAS students have the following unique opportunities:
• Learn in small classes from experienced, professional faculty who are dedicated to your success and to their own professional renewal.
• Benefit from one-on-one mentoring and advising that facilitate collaboration, scholastic success and career planning and guidance.
• Get valuable hands-on experience through MSU Denver broadcasts: The Met Report, Met Sports, WCAS Radio and KMet Radio.
• Take advantage of exciting internship opportunities that can help you make industry connections and jump-start your future career.
• Participate in our annual Spectacular Vernacular, a popular on-campus public-speaking contest that awards cash prizes in three categories.
• Save by attending one of the most affordable programs in the state at university that’s listed by Forbes as one of the best for return on investment.
Career Opportunities for Our Graduates
A BA in Communication Studies prepares students for further graduate studies and opens up many exciting career options in education, government, business and industry, journalism, marketing and advertising, broadcasting and more. In fact, for many years, one of our graduates, Jim Saccomano, worked as the VP of corporate communications for the Denver Broncos.
—Lisa Clark (BA in speech communication 2013) Graduate student career advisor, Colorado School of Mines
Electronic Media and Society
Techniques of Persuasion
Writing for Broadcast Journalism
Gender and Communication
Business and Professional Speaking
Communication and Conflict
Rhetoric and Public Address
Argumentation and Advocacy
Foundations of Speech and Thought
The BA in Communication Studies degree program at MSU Denver is part of the university’s overall accreditation with the Higher Learning Commission (HLC).
BACK TO ACADEMIC PROGRAMS
Mon-Thurs: 8:00 a.m. – 5:30 p.m.
Friday: 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Admissions and Transfer Counselors are available on a walk-in basis.