Bachelor of Fine Arts
The Bachelor of Fine Arts (BFA) in communication design degree program at Metropolitan State University of Denver (MSU Denver) provides students with a professional education that emphasizes visual, written and oral communication as a means to translate design problems. This approach, supported by rigorous studies in history, theory, strategy and research, gives students the opportunity to engage in a broad spectrum of design practice.
The Department of Art at MSU Denver is a vibrant, diverse community that is full of engaging options for its students. Here you will be challenged to become informed, thinking designers. Through specific course work that fuses semantics, pragmatics and syntactics, you will explore how to design for the people and contexts that require communication and learn how to craft effective and culturally appropriate messages in a broad range of design media.
To qualify for application to the BFA in communication design program at MSU Denver, students must begin in a Bachelor of Art program in the art department and participate in a formal portfolio review process.
Benefits of Earning Your Degree at MSU Denver
The art department values inquiry and investigation and engages students in creative processes that support a holistic approach to problem-solving. Earning your BFA in communication design from MSU Denver provides you with:
• An unparalleled urban environment and strong community within the local art and design scene.
• An education grounded in contemporary practices, with an emphasis on broad learning.
• Art history classes that are taught thematically, with content that is relatable and memorable.
• Courses that teach methodologies in community-based design for social impact .
• Internships that prepare you for the realities of seeking a professional career in design.
• The ability to articulate concepts visually, orally and in writing to better promote your work.
• Research skills that are heavily relied on in the workplace and in graduate school.
• Preparation to succeed in highly competitive job interviews and in graduate school applications.
• Hands-on advising from experienced, professional faculty who are dedicated to your success.
• The most affordable BFA program in Colorado and among the most affordable in the nation.
As a communication design student at MSU Denver, you’ll also have access to the University’s off-campus Center for Visual Art (CVA). In addition to showing significant contemporary art and offering extensive educational programming, the award-winning CVA serves as an interactive art and design laboratory for our students and the larger community.
Career Opportunities for Our Graduates
No matter what your ultimate career goals are, earning your BFA in communication design at MSU Denver prepares you for further graduate studies and offers you the flexibility of diverse options as you become an innovative and creative professional.
Career opportunities are plentiful and can include titles such as communication designer, graphic designer, graphic artist, junior designer, senior designer, creative director and art director. Specializations can include typography, packaging, publication, corporate identity, brand strategy, environmental design, interactive design, Web design, data visualization, interface and user experience design, digital design, multimedia, production management, public interest design and more.
Some careers may require additional education or training.
—Greg Jesse (BFA 2012), graphic designer Sukle Advertising & Design
Identity and Systems Design
Design Research Methods
Integrated Production Techniques
Creating Web Interfaces
User Interface Design
Professional Practices in
Senior Experience: Thesis and Exhibition
The degree programs in the Department of Art at MSU Denver are fully accredited by the National Association of Schools of Art and Design (NASAD).
BACK TO ACADEMIC PROGRAMS
Mon-Thurs: 8:00 a.m. – 5:30 p.m.
Friday: 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Admissions and Transfer Counselors are available on a walk-in basis.