Bachelor of Science or Arts
The Bachelor of Science and Bachelor of Arts degree programs in biology at Metropolitan State University of Denver (MSU Denver) prepare students for successful careers and lifelong learning in the rapidly expanding field of life sciences. Biology involves the study of life in all of its forms and phenomena. The Department of Biology focuses on the origin, growth, reproduction, structure and function of living things.
Bachelor of Science—Although not required, students may choose to focus their studies in one of the following concentrations:
• Medical technology
• Cell and molecular biology Bachelor of Arts—Provides students with the option of obtaining Colorado licensure for elementary or secondary education while earning their degree.
Benefits of Earning Your Degree at MSU Denver
The Department of Biology delivers all the academic content you expect in a bachelor degree program while also bringing to the table everything that’s unique about MSU Denver’s people and our city’s community of biologists. Students here have the advantage of the following unique opportunities:
• Enjoy attending classes on a vibrant and diverse campus located in the heart of downtown Denver, where you can easily connect to the city’s science and biology community.
• Benefit from small classes, faculty-taught lectures and labs and experienced professors who provide hands-on advising and dedicated mentoring.
• Tailor your curriculum to fit specific interests and career goals, choosing from more than 50 different courses that span a broad spectrum of biological disciplines.
• Learn in state-of-the-art teaching labs and research spaces housed in the newly renovated Science Building, and participate in a variety of research opportunities year-round.
• Join MSU Denver’s student Biology Club, the frontline source for volunteer opportunities, community involvement, seminars and outreach for continuing education programs.
• Intern with various organizations within the medical and scientific sectors that can provide you with real-world experience in the field, classroom and laboratory.
Career Opportunities for Our Graduates
Earning a bachelor’s degree in biology from MSU Denver prepares students for further graduate studies; medical school; jobs in health care and in public health; or careers as professional research associates/lab technicians, cell/molecular biologists, science teachers, field biologists/ecologists, microbiologists, zoologists and more. Some careers may require further education or training.
—Erika Olson (BS in biology 2013), zookeeper, Houston Zoo
Advanced Human Cadaver Anatomy Lab
Biology of Cancer
Issues in Conservation Biology
Biology of Women
The bachelor degree programs in the Department of Biology are accredited by the Higher Learning Commission (HLC).
BACK TO ACADEMIC PROGRAMS
Mon-Thurs: 8:00 a.m. – 5:30 p.m.
Friday: 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Admissions and Transfer Counselors are available on a walk-in basis.