Bachelor of Fine Arts
The Bachelor of Fine Arts (BFA) in art degree program at Metropolitan State University of Denver(MSU Denver) provides students with a broad background in visual art through a highly creative, challenging and supportive learning environment. The Department of Art at MSU Denver is a vibrant, diverse community that is full of engaging options for its students. Here you will learn tools of art production and approaches to research to apply toward innovative outcomes in art and design. The creative problem-solving and critical-thinking skills you acquire will be essential in a variety of career applications and can provide you with an outstanding foundation of critical thinking for lifelong learning.
To qualify for application to the BFA in art program at MSU Denver, students must begin in a Bachelor of Art program in the art department and participate in a formal portfolio-review process.
Students choose one of the following concentrations:
- Art Education
- Jewelry Design and Metalsmithing
- Spatial Media
8:00 a.m. – 5:30 p.m.
8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Admissions and Transfer Counselors are available on a walk-in basis.
Benefits of Earning Your Degree at MSU Denver
The art department values inquiry and investigation and engages students in creative processes that support a holistic approach. Earning your BFA in art from MSU Denver provides you with:
- An unparalleled urban environment and a strong sense of community within the local art scene.
- An education grounded in contemporary practices, with an emphasis on broad learning.
- Opportunities to produce artwork beyond material objects; you can create experience.
- Art history classes that are taught thematically, with content that is relatable and memorable.
- Optional internships to prepare you for the realities of a professional career in art.
- The ability to articulate concepts visually, orally and in writing.
- A jump-start on the research skills that are heavily relied on in graduate programs.
- Hands-on advising from experienced, professional faculty who are dedicated to your success.
- The most affordable BFA in art program in Colorado and among the most affordable in the nation.
- Access to the University’s off-campus Center for Visual Art (CVA).
Career Opportunities for Our Graduates
Earning your BFA in art at MSU Denver prepares you for further graduate studies and offers diverse career opportunities that can include:
- K–12 artist-teacher, college professor, art-curriculum developer and community art educator.
- Arts activist, arts advocate, arts promoter, critic, blogger and nonprofit arts professional.
- Fine artist, studio artist, gallery artist, community artist, fine art photographer, ceramics artist, fiber artist, jewelry designer, wearable-art designer, sculptor, mural painter, illustrator, graphic novelist and cartoonist.
- Public artist, performance artist, installation artist, interdisciplinary artist, book artist, concept artist and medical illustrator.
- Art restorer, photo restorer, studio manager and art installer/handler.
- Artisan, entrepreneur, arts retailer, gallery manager/director and art appraiser.
Some careers may require additional education or training.
Hear from our students:
“I got so much out of my BFA program. Every day, I worked with talented faculty who were fully engaged in their own artistic practices and aware of the contemporary art scene, locally and nationally. Every day, I was exposed to cutting edge ideas about art and techniques that made it possible for me to shape and realize my vision. Every day, my vision grew, not just for what I could create but for who I could be as an artist. Metro strives to make its education relevant, and the art department realizes that vision well, producing artists who can step from their academic practice right into a professional one.”
—Heather Doyle-Maier (BFA in art 2007), visual and textual artist
Alumni at Work
Organizations that have hired MSU Denver art department graduates with BFA degrees include:
- Adams County, Jefferson County and Denver public schools.
- MSU Denver and the Colorado Community College and Occupational Education System.
- Art Students League of Denver, Downtown Aurora Visual Arts (DAVA) and Think 360 Arts.
MSU Denver studio art alumni have exhibited work locally, regionally, nationally and internationally.
MSU Denver alumni work appears in major museums and in corporate and private collections.
Several of our alumni also have curated exhibitions. Other graduates have set out to start successful business ventures of their own or have gone on to prestigious graduate programs, including those at Cornell University, Tufts University, the University of Colorado, the University of Denver and many more.
In addition to a full range of courses in the concentration areas of art education, ceramics, drawing, jewelry design and metalsmithing, painting, photography, printmaking and spatial media, students have the opportunity to take interdisciplinary, integrated-media offerings such as:
Drawing in Space
Socially Engaged Art
The Artist’s Book
The Visual Journal
The degree programs in the Department of Art at MSU Denver are fully accredited by the National Association of Schools of Art and Design (NASAD).