Rachel B. Noel Scholarship
MSU Denver is seeking nominations for the 2017 Rachel B. Noel scholarship. This scholarship was named in memory of Dr. Rachel B. Noel, the first African American elected to the Denver Public School Board, and who leaves behind a distinguished legacy in her effort to integrate Denver’s public schools with the Noel Resolution passed in 1970.
The Rachel B. Noel scholarship will recognize two MSU Denver students, who have through their actions have embraced on Rachel B. Noel’s legacy and served as an exemplary model for fellow MSU Denver students. These exemplary actions may include, but are not limited to: active community service, diversity advocacy efforts inside and/or outside of the campus community, and academic excellence that echoes Rachel B. Noel’s emphasis on the importance of education.
A $500 award will be granted to each Rachel B. Noel Scholarship recipient. Recipients are asked to attend and will be recognized at the Rachel B. Noel Community Event on Sunday, March 26, 2017.
Applications must include a minimum 500-word personal statement that addresses each of the following points:
- Community Activism: In what ways are you with the community? How do those actions promote peace, justice, and compassion for all people? How long have you been committed these causes?
- Advocacy: How have you served as an advocate to influence education, diversity, and equity in your community?
- Academic Excellence: How have you demonstrated academic excellence?
Eligibility for Scholarship
The following requirements must ALL be fulfilled in order for the nomination to receive full consideration.
- The applicant must maintain a minimum 2.5 GPA;
- The applicant must have applied and been accepted for admission at the Metropolitan State University of Denver.
- The applicant must be enrolled in a degree, licensure, or certificate program at the Metropolitan State University of Denver.
- The applicant must not be in default on any student loan, owe a refund, or have received overpayment on any federal, state, or institutional financial aid that has not been resolved.
- The applicant must meet Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) standards as determined by the Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships.
Complete the application form below. Applications must be received by 11:59 PM on March 1, 2017. Be thorough in completing the online form. If you have any questions or encounter any difficulties in filling out this application, please contact Dr. Ting Jiang via email at email@example.com.