First Year Success Peer Ambassadors
FYS Peer Ambassadors establish mentoring relationships in order to connect first year students to a diverse, supportive, and welcoming community to ensure a successful transition into MSU Denver.
Peer Ambassadors are successful past participants of the FYS program who serve as mentors and provide additional resources and outreach to current students. Peer Ambassadors answer questions about the program and stay in touch with learning community participants to inform students about program events and campus activities.
- To establish mentoring relationships with MSU Denver FYS participants.
- To inspire an attitude for academic success.
- To connect FYS students to campus resources and services.
- To engage FYS students with campus life.
What are PA's?
PAs are Peer Leaders
PAs are past participants in the FYS program who achieved (and maintain) a GPA of 3.0 or above. As such, they are role models for students at MSU Denver who have gone through experiences similar to those they serve. Recruited from a variety of backgrounds ranging from traditional student to single mother or veteran, these students have faced relatable challenges and succeeded.
PAs facilitate activities designed to support first year students
FYS sponsored programs are often facilitated by PAs. In addition, PAs will organize scheduled monthly activities to develop a network of support and increase MSU Denver community engagement. Such activities may include: pre-‐scheduled study circles, campus lectures, academic support workshops, book discussions, or sporting events.
PAs are available to students as resources
PAs are there to connect first year students to the campus and the organizations within the campus. They are there to provide students with a bridge to other departments, clubs and activities while supporting them academically.
In addition to fulfilling general Peer Ambassador duties, each peer ambassador is assigned to a specific focus area listed below:
- Outreach and Recruitment
- This area focuses on outreach to and recruitment of current and perspective MSU Denver students.
- This area will focus on creating, planning and executing FYS events.
- Community Service/Service Learning
- This area will focus on coordinating and planning community service/service learning opportunities for FYS students, staff, and faculty.
- This area focuses on FYS diversity initiatives and trainings.
- This area will focus on the advising aspect of the FYS program and work closing with our advising professional staff.
Here are your 2015-2016 Peer Ambassadors!