First Year Success
The First Year Success program is the entry point for all beginning Metropolitan State University of Denver students. Here students set the stage for future success through community-based learning, peer support, and a wide range of meaningful co-curricular activities. By the end of the program, students will have developed foundational college-level skills while making connections with faculty, other students, and the campus as a whole.
Guaranteed enrollment in high demand general studies classes
Opportunity to interact and network with other students
Peer support and mentoring
Enhanced academic and social opportunities
Greater involvement in learning
Exciting activities and service opportunities
First Year Success Mission Statement
FIRST YEAR SUCCESS PROGRAM OUTCOMES:
Students who participate in the First Year Success Program will be able to:
Demonstrate self-efficacy and self-advocacy by making use of university resources and successfully navigating the university culture and systems;
- Use the academic skills that promote student success, such as student-focused habits of mind and research abilities;
- Define the elements of financial literacy that lead to college completion;
- Consider information that leads to career exploration and the construction of an academic path that supports career choice.
- Recognize the hallmarks of cultural competence that contribute to university and global citizenry;
- Identify means and ways of integration into the campus community in order to promote a sense of belonging; and
- Demonstrate the growth mindset that leads to persistence and degree completion.
FIRST YEAR SUCCESS MISSION STATEMENT:
First Year Success increases student persistence and success while fostering a passion for lifelong learning in a nurturing scholarly community. The program serves the needs of first-year-to MSU Denver students through collaborative, engaging methods that:
- Foster on- and off-campus relationships;
- Connect learning to compelling issues; and
- Are culturally relevant.
The First Year Success Program will rely on partnerships within Student Academic Success (including Student Persistence, Tutoring, Supplemental Instruction, and other entities), Academic Advising, and Career Services to support first-year students and move toward the successful achievement of our program outcomes.
NEED HELP BUYING YOUR BOOKS??
You can charge up to $500 on your tuition bill at the Tivoli Station to get your books and supplies!
Learn more about the MSU Denver Charge Program
Monday –Thursday: 8:00 am – 5:30 pm
Friday: 8:00 am – 5:00 pm
Saturday – Sunday: Closed
Do you know if you have any holds that could prevent you from registering for the Spring 2017? Come by the First Year Success Office between November 7th and 11th to see if you have any holds and be entered to win 1 of 5 $30 Amazon gift cards!
Are you ready for Spring Registration?!
Come meet with an advisor and get help registering for classes. An advisor can help you look at what classes you should or need to be taking for Spring 2017. Learn more