MSU Denver Values Equity
The Office of Equal Opportunity (EOO) ensures University compliance with the law and spirit of equal opportunity and affirmative action. Areas of responsibility include issues related to race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation or preference, gender identity and expressions, age, marital status, disability, and status as a disabled veteran, Vietnam-era veteran or other protected veteran, as persons in these groups are part of the University community as employees, students and members of the public.
Serving the greater MSU Denver community and the people of Colorado, the EOO plays an important role in helping MSU Denver ensure that the civil rights of all are respected and that a diverse, multicultural workforce, student population, learning and work environments are achieved and maintained. The EOO carries out educational, investigative and monitoring activities to ensure equal employment opportunity and respect for civil rights at MSU Denver and promotes improvements in relevant policies, practices and procedures.
Equal Opportunity Office Program Areas:
• Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action (EEO/AA) Compliance
• Human Rights, Workforce Recruitment and Diversification, and EEO/AA Education
• Scholarly Activities (co-sponsored with academic units)
• Public Events/Forums
• Outreach Activities for Workforce Recruitment and Diversification Efforts
Unlawful Discrimination Complaint Investigation
EOO is MSU Denver’s central intake and referral office for unlawful discrimination (i.e., sexual harassment, race, ADA, religion, etc.) complaints from students, staff, faculty and visitors. EOO works closely with other University offices to form a college-wide net to receive and address complaints about and problems in the educational and workplace environments.
Professional Development Workshop’s
EOO collaborates with the University’s General Counsel and Office of Academic and Student Affairs to offer educational programs for the MSU Denver community on issues concerning equal employment opportunity, affirmative action, workforce recruitment and diversification, sexual harassment, complaint investigation, discrimination and other related topics. EOO’s programs may also be customized upon request.
Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action (EEO/AA) Recruitment, Hiring and Outreach Efforts Include:
• Provides training to search committees on MSU Denver’s recruitment procedures to ensure compliance with EEO/AA laws and regulations.
• Monitors the recruitment, hiring and other employment actions of faculty and professional
personnel for EEO/AA compliance.
• Trains and coordinates University search and screening committees to assist with EEO/AA recruitment and hiring.
• Promotes the establishment of fair and objective criteria for evaluating candidates.
• Updates MSU Denver administration on progress made toward achieving EEO/AA goals.
State and Federal Compliance
The Equal Opportunity Office:
• Develops MSU Denver’s annual Affirmative Action Plan.
• Prepares EEO reports and maintains applicant flow data collected from searches.
• Communicates with state and federal government agencies regarding compliance, audits, reporting and investigations.