Welcome to the MSU Denver Speech Communication Program
Communication is one of the most important human qualities, and proficiency in any one of the areas of speech communication opens up many exciting career options to the graduate.
The Department of Communication Arts & Sciences offers a Bachelor of Arts Degree in Speech Communication with several emphases, including Communication Theory, Organizational Communication, Public Address & Rhetoric, and Broadcasting. Many graduates in Speech Communication pursue work in their emphasis of study. They are also afforded a variety of career options in education, government, business and industry, and broadcasting.
SPE 1010 Public Speaking is a general studies class that emphasizes growth and development in public speaking. The course acquaints students with the basic theory of the art of public speaking and provides experience in the preparation and delivery of speeches. (General Studies–Level I, Communications).
- The Broadcasting ( 367 KB) emphasis prepares the graduates for a career in radio, television and film as talent, writer, producer, director, or a specialist in promotion, public affairs, sales and marketing, management, production engineering, advertising or public information.
- The Communication Theory ( 94 KB) emphasis provides graduates a solid background for work as human resource specialists, employee managers, public relations specialists, personal relationship consultants, and is an excellent preparation for graduate studies in social science research programs.
- The Organizational Communication ( 91 KB) emphasis prepares graduates for work in consulting, training and conference planning. This concentration presents lucrative and satisfying careers to speech communication graduates. Job opportunities are available in education, government, business and industry as well as private practice as a consultant.
- The Rhetoric and Public Address ( 92 KB) emphasis prepares graduates for success in law, industrial and organizational communication, educational administration, public affairs, speech writing for political figures, teaching and theology.
- Speech Communication Minor ( 345 KB)